Pressure side leak

May 15, 2015
upstate New York
This year I opened up the pool in my backyard, which a neighbor tells me hadn't been opened since about 2007. Using advice from this site, it went from a frozen swamp at the end of April to a decent, but still kind of ghetto, pool. In the second picture you can see the pool house with the pump and filter in it in the upper left and the return jet to the left.

frozen pool.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

A few weeks ago I noticed that the water level was dropping pretty quickly in my pool. I ended up getting the liquid Fix-A-Leak, and that seemed to cure the problem for a while. Then, suddenly, it came back.

Today I did a dye test and I could clearly see dye getting sucked into the return jet, indicating a pressure-side leak. This side seems to be a flexible white hose. there's about 15 feet above the ground that I can see and get to easily, and I can see that there is no major leak there.

At this point, is there any option beside just starting to dig everything up? Is a second round of Fix-A-Leak going to do anything more than the first one did? Is it more likely to be at the pool return jet that somewhere along the length of the hose, which is 40 or 50 feet long?

That's unfortunate, and I've never been a fan of the fix-a-leak methods. I suppose it's always best to start at the easiest, most accessible spot and work your way back during the process of elimination. Start at a return jet to see if it got kinked or something over years of settling and/or temperature change. If you see no improvement there, and no obvious sign of leakage (i.e. moist soil) you may be forced to work your way along the line to uncover the defective area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.