New Pool owner with a Green Pool

Jul 9, 2015
Howell
I bought a house two days ago and have a cloudy green algae problem the pool is salt water 16K ingound vinyl liner.

I know I need to order a good test kit and will do so later today.
[h=1][/h]I took my water sample to the pool store and my levels are below

FAC - 6
PH - 7.8
TA - 110
CYA - 30
Salt - 4000
Phosphates - 100

I placed in 2 Lbs of
Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue for Swimming Pools 2 days ago and it seems slightly better.

I have been doing some more reading on this site including the Pool school and using the calculator. My plan of attack for now until the full test kit gets here is to buy a test for Free Chlorine and add Liquid Bleach to keep the FC at 12 until the pool is clear.

Welcome to TFP! Well, you already nailed it - ordering the good test kit. That's definitely #1. Your temporary plan makes sense, to maintain the FC level. Keep in mind however that since we don't know for sure your CYA (since we don't rely on pool store testing) it might actually be much higher. Therefore an FC of 12 may not be adequate enough. But again, we don't want t speculate too much right now. Adding that much bleach won't hurt and may actually keep things from getting worse. Don't put anything other than bleach in your pool though. And check back in once you receive your test kit.

Until then, read-up on the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain since that will be your first course of action. Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the welcome, My test kit arrived, I ordered a K-2006 so Amazon could overnight it to me. Since my last post I had placed a bottle of bleach in one night next day I placed 2 bottles and then this morning I poured another one. Today is the first day that it started to look a little better, My plan is to do nothing but keep testing and use bleach to keep the level at 15.5 which is half way between shock level and mustard algae level. So far I tested for chlorine and CYA

FAC -
Free chlorine
93 drops of R 0871 *. 2 = 18.6

1.4 combined chlorine

CYA - Level is 35

My salt level is down to 3800 from 4000 after draining off a foot and refilling two nights this week. Would a high salt level be an issue in killing the algae?

Last edited:
You don't need to keep it that much above shock level. It won't make things go faster and you will just be loosing extra chlorine to the sun. You can go a few points above shock at night though. The SLAM process is well thought out and will work without modification. To quote Marcus Lemonis, "trust the process".

Test and adjust back to shock level multiple times a day. Brush at least once a day. Filter running 24/7.

You can switch to 10ml samples of water for .5 accuracy to save reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.