Hello, new pool build and with some equipment questions

Ocgasman

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Hi all! Been lurking for a while and while I've learned a ton, I'm still a newb and looking for some guidance. We have just started on our pool build and our landscape architect/contractor subs out to a local PB. We will have a ~17k pool and separate spa using SWG. The PB usually installs Hayward and had brought over a Hayward C5030, Goldline T-Cell 15 Turbo Cell, Ecostar SP3400VSP, and H400FDN heater. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not entirely sure if this is quality equipment. Automation is very important to me and I believe he was going to install Omnilogic.

I told our contractor that I wanted to have Pentair Magicstream laminars. He went back to the PB and the PB said it's better to have all Pentair equipment to control all the lighting synchronously with the same manufacturer for automation. So now we are exchanging out the all Hayward equipment for all Pentair equipment.

Some questions:

1. Is this the right decision? Is Pentair "better" than Hayward, or is it a matter of personal preference.

2. Did our PB pick the correct equipment for our size pool/spa and was it quality stuff?

3. What Pentair equipment should I be asking for? By this, I mean all the equipment...lights, pump, heater, automation, SWG, filter, cleaners, really anything. I also want to do it right the first time and not have to retrofit other stuff. Automation is very important to me and I don't mind paying more up front to make my life a little easier later on. I am willing and want to do my own chemistry once I get the fund of knowledge and experience, but don't mind automation to help me, is intelliph and intellichem worthwhile additions? What should I definitely do during the build that I wished I had done when I look back after it's complete?

Sorry for all the newb questions and thanks in advance for all the help.

Welcome, and it's good to have you with us!

I'll take a few of these, and others will chime in with more detail. I don't know the specs on all the Hayward as well.

1. It's a bit of a Ford/Chevy argument. I like pentair, and think they make better VS pumps than Hayward or Jandy.

2. Not sure of all the equipment the specs, but the heater size is nice and big. Most prefer Raypak Hester's over Hayward or any other. All the automation seems to have its various weird little quirks,Minot matter the brand, but I would stick with all the same brands of everything save the heater.

3. All I will address here is dropping any pressure cleaner/booster pump setup, and go with a top shelf Robot. Get credit back for that. I'm partial to Dolphin products, upper line. Again, same branding of pumps, lights, SWG will make things easier in the long run, IMO. be sure to oversize your SWG by a factor of 1.5-3 X for your pool size. Don't skimp here at all. Your SWG will last a good deal longer this way, because it won't have to work as hard or as long to keep up.

Study around on the forum before you sign. There are a ton of questions like yours already, and feel free to ask around. People will gladly share what they would do over with another chance. Good luck on your project,many enjoy the forum.

Hello,

I recently had a new pool installed, as well. The best advice I can give you is to get what YOU want. After all, you are investing a lot of money and, eventually, time into your new pool. I was pleased to see that my builder offered Pentair products and I was very impressed with how knowledgeable my builder was with this equipment. I had received proposals from several other builders who said, "let me get back to you on that", way too many times. If your builder sub-contracts most of the work, ask for a list of the sub-contractors they use so you can do research on them. I always wanted to know who was in my backyard and if they were reputable construction companies or not. Some of builders I had spoken too refused to disclose their list of sub-cons saying we didn't need to know. That lead me to quickly dismiss that builder as reputable.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Pentair or Hayward, both are fine and its not like he is trying to sub out a cheap knockoff, so you are good there.

the filter you posted is a 525 s.f. filter, so that looks good.

The T-15 is good size for a 17k pool (2.8x larger, good)

wouldn't waste you money on the chemical automation. with your SWG it will control your chlorine levels, all you should have to do is adjust pH with muriatic acid once or twice a week once the pool is cured. for the first year you will probably be adjusting the pH regularly as the plaster cures.

Do not waste your money on UV equipment, etc.

I would ask your PB to provide you a full list of equipment he is planning to use, as well as the number of returns/skimmers and the size of your piping.

another thing people mess up a lot I see is the decking. you want it nice and wide, get as much decking as possible. try to avoid areas near the pool with less than 4' of decking. space constraints aside obviously.

Thanks for all the help so far! I got a list from the PB on what he thinks will work well for my pool. I will also ask about returns/skimmers and size of the piping.

Here is his recommended list:

So Pentair set up would be:

400,000 master temp
Whisper flo variable speed (VS) pump
2.0 hp whisper flow for spa jets
1.5 hp whisper flow for the laminar
3 pumps total now

60sq ft DE or 500 cart filter
150 Sq ft cart filter for the laminars
Easytouch 8 with salt cell
Intelliscreen wireless remote for home computer and or IPad.
Intellibrite 5g led lights ( 2 Pool-1 Spa)

So, off my minimal knowledge, this looks pretty good. I think the PB must mean intelliflo as I can't find a whisperflo VSP. I know nothing about filters. If I have a cart filter on the laminars, should I just go cart for the pool? Is Easytouch 8 good enough, do I need intellitouch? Anything you would change?

three pumps? seems excessive, why cant you go with a larger pump and use the controller to feed those. the pump can run at different speeds based on the number of items its using. I would definetly ask your PB about the necessity for 3 pumps, that's a big cost and with the wireless controller and the VS pump you would think it could be trimmed down.

laminar may need separate pump and filter, im not up to speed on that.

as far as the filter goes, 500 s.f. seems good to me, nice and big. if there is a bigger model go for that though, ask your PB. cost increase should be minimal and maintenance will be easier.

salt cell is sized for 40,000 gallons so that's good. only thing bad I have heard about the Pentair SWCG is that the cells are more expensive since they have electronics in them. Hayward cells are a bit cheaper, but you are going with all Pentair, so that's the right size unit. price on amazon is only about $100 difference between it and the Hayward, so not bad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.