Intellichlor Union cracked

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Part of the union cracked on me tonight. I haven't had time to look it over yet but I'm curious about how to fix it. It looks like the other part of the union is glued onto the pool plumbing and if memory serves me right, I can't easily remove the piece that is cracked. Will I have to cue the union off all together or is there a way to get just the cracked piece back on? Or should I find a way to just seal the crack on the broken piece? Thanks

http://[URL=http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/modawg2k/media/IMG_5398.jpg.html][/URL]

I'm afraid you can't repair the broken Union by sealing it in place. I would look to replacing it, but it will be a pain. It's beyond comprehension why these systems are never installed with a repair in mind, but it seems standard. You may have to make a few cuts unfortunately, or perhaps just one on the downstream side of this elbow we see part of where you might have room to work with. Remove that section, including Union, and come back in with a new identical piece to mate it up. That would be my first approach based on what I can see here.

How much pipe do you have on the other side of the ell? If you could take another picture so we could see that pipe run, it would help us tell you what fittings you'll need.
Patrick is right. Order another union, cut the ell out and replumb it. You'll most likely need a coupling, a short piece of PVC pipe, and another ell, maybe a street ell, but i need to see the rest of that pipe.
It's not a hard fix, really.

Yes. Check a few youtube videos on gluing pvc. The pipe looks painted, so you'll need to clean off the paint where you need to glue.

Is it painted, or naturally that color (CPVC? If so make sure you use the right glue)? If painted, acetone is good for cleaning off some paints, I soak a paper towel and keep rubbing it around the pipe hard until the paint is gone from the area I need to glue to. All the while cursing the previous owner (yeah, there are good reasons to paint PVC for sun protection, but it's still a royal pain to clean off later).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got everything hooked up. I have a very slight drip (maybe once every minute or so) at the coupling between two of my straight pipes. Any cause for worry?
9eda44ac24d2f5feaca36cacca89ade8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was afraid of. How do I redo it all? Do I have to cut the longer pipe further down the line and now add two couplers?

You can do that or get a 2" repair coupling. This video shows how to do it. The one shown here is a smaller pipe, but the idea is the same.
How to Repair PVC: The Slip Fix Fitting - YouTube

Is the leak between the old PVC pipe and the coupling?

The leak is at the coupling/new pipe. May be hard to tell from the photo but to line up everything the old pipe and new pipe weren't the straightest. Maybe that force at the junction is causing the leak

How did it go? My (very limited) PVC experience is that the following are important to getting a good final seal:

- Cleaning the pipe beforehand, including making sure all traces of paint are gone.

- Using plenty of primer and glue per instructions (my glue and primer say to apply to the pipe, the fitting, then the pipe again). Make sure it evenly covers the whole joint area.

- Pushing the pieces all the way in (you can't dry fit PVC all the way together, so I often measure to be sure I'm cutting the pipe to the right length to go to the stop. Then I measure and cut again when I realize I compensated the wrong way :). Mark the pipe where it should go in if necessary. Twisting the pipes 1/4 turn as you put them together is suggested, but obviously not always possible for those last connections.

The pipes not being parallel is not ideal, but if you do the above it should be able to handle some tension. The only other way I know to address it requires another elbow (basically, angle the middle pipe down, then elbow up and back to the level of the SWCG. The middle elbow would allow the slight rotation needed). But your pipes are close enough that probably isn't necessary if you make a good joint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.