My new pool slab has a 5" slope - ugh

Jul 3, 2015
Nebraska
I had a slab poured next to my patio to make my patio big enough for an AGP. The 12x30 metal frame pool will sit on the new slab, and I plan on upgrading to a 14x42 pool in a few years which will sit partly on the new slab.

The slab was poured yesterday, today I checked the slope and found it's 5" inches diagonally! My own fault for not telling him to make it level, I just assumed it would have a tiny bit of slope like my existing patio and would be fine. Big mistake on my part.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this? I'm thinking about raising the low end with pink foam insulation, and raising the poles down there with bricks. But it sounds like a lot of work to get level. I'll have to sand the pink boards to taper them off toward the high side. How high could I safely raise it? Could I raise just the poles somewhat and let the liner stretch? Any other ideas?

Arg the whole reason I had a slab poured is so I wouldn't have to do all this leveling work (and also to make use the the larger patio in spring and fall). Feeling sick to my stomach right now...

One of the biggest challenges I've ever gone through as a homeowner was attempting to create a brick sand level base for my Intex Easy Set AGP. Get your contractor back. If you told them it was for an above ground pool, it shouldn't have been sloped 5" diagonally - or at all.

He gave me a signed bid but it's short on specifics.

So I've realized that the 5 inches is diagonal across the slab (which makes sense since my round pool will run that direction of course (because it's round!)). BUT that is across the entire slab, the pool is only 12 foot so the slope won't be as much. So 5 inches across 20 feet is 1/4 inch per foot (standard slope is 1/8 to 1/4 I believe). So 12 foot pool * .25 per inch means 3" which is still pretty bad but more manageable.

Maybe raise poles on the low side, either 3 or 5 of them, by 1/2 inch going from 1/2 to 1-1/2. Then try to raise the pool floor a little with some foam board on that end.

Arg all this trial and error rigging is what I was trying to avoid by just putting in a slab! So frustrated right now.

And no idea what I'll do when time comes to upgrade to my 14x42 (that I've already purchased! :). Maybe mud jacking. Which costs almost as much as having the slab put in.

I would contact the contractor and see what they have to say about it not being level. If they knew it was for a pool they should have made it level. Worst case you could have them re form it to level and add cement on top to level it out. At least it works in my head that way. Good luck with what ever you do.

The patio was pitched appropriately for water runoff.

Unless he was specifically told that it needs to be level and the contract states that, I do not see any recourse with the concrete guy. It was done to trade specs.

You may be able to reform and pour again on top but I would worry about the bonding between the previously poured and newly poured concrete. That is a pretty thin amount with no way to pin the two layers together. I do think it would work though, you may have a lot of mixing on your hands since that would definitely be a short load for deliver and would cost a lot more than hand mixing bags.

...Unless he was specifically told that it needs to be level and the contract states that, I do not see any recourse with the concrete guy. It was done to trade specs...

Obviously I spoke out of turn, 5" seemed like a lot of slope to me. I still think there may be some value of reaching out to him and just seeing if he had any crafty ideas which could save a lot of stress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's already sloped 3" in one direction, 2" in another, then 5" across the diagonal. Thats a lot of slope. Why not just one direction? When I first looked at it I thought was crooked. I don't think you are supposed to be able to easily visually see the slope. You can tell one corner is lower than all the others.

I would seriously consider doing something temporary and just under the pool. That way should you or whoever decide you don't want a pool there will be a nice big patio readily available with proper drainage. It may be a blessing in disguise.

I would seriously consider doing something temporary and just under the pool. That way should you or whoever decide you don't want a pool there will be a nice big patio readily available with proper drainage. It may be a blessing in disguise.

Ok, any ideas? Raise the legs on one side and put foam insulation under the liner? Maybe a 4" piece and then graduate to a 2" piece? Will the liner have problems where the floor height transitions due to the foam?

Call the contractor first, explain the situation and see what he says. If there is no help from the contractor, do not build up the low side with foam. It will compress down due to the weight of the water. Use treated wood to raise the low side.

They can rough the surface of the slab and coat it with bonding agent and pour a new wedge shaped slab on top of it to get it level. I don't recommend doing that in most cases, but since it's for a pool which will means minimal traffic and the overall thickness is great enough to prevent spalling, it will be fine in this case.

They use the foam as cushioning under the pool floor, not as support for the pool itself. Most of them cut the foam to fit around the legs. Also the Intex manual recommends treated wood under the legs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.