Another DE into Sand Filter Question

Zappafan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2014
Hampton, IL.
Hey all,

Is all DE relatively the same? I did not expect to see a white powder when I opened the bag. I purchased "Dicalite" at the dreaded pool store to add to my sand filter, as I was reading the bag it says not to use less than one pound. Of course I read the Pool School article "Adding DE" and it states that you will use approximately a cup or two in most instances. Nowhere near a pound. I searched though a lot of threads but did not really find anything that resembled this. Before I go any further I wanted to run it past the pro's. Thanks in advance.

I'd stick with just a cup or two. It all gets backwashed out soon enough - of course they'd want you to use mass quantities. Do you know anyone who actually uses as much coffee as it says on the side of the can?

There are two types of DE, pool grade and food grade. Pool grade DE has been heat treated to make it suitable for use in a pool. If you use food grade DE in a pool, it creates a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch your pressure! It will climb fast the first couple of times.

My filter is quirky about this. It will stay at normal psi for a week or so then the pressure will drop 1 psi so I know it is a matter of a 2-3 hour window and then it will climb usually at night right before bed then I need to backwash.

Thanks for the responses. So is the garden variety that they talk about in TFP the food grade? I purchased it at the pool store so I know this is what they must use in the DE filters I just wanted to make sure that it is the same stuff to add to my sand filter.

The only type of DE discussed here is pool-grade DE. That's the only kind you should ever use in your pool. If you got it from a pool store than its pool grade.

I only mentioned the other type because sometime people see DE in other venues (hardware stores, online, etc) at lower prices and in smaller quantities and think it's all the same stuff. There was a thread recently where the OP accidentally put food grade DE in his new filter and it caused a terrible mess in his pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Joyful! I remembered reading at the bottom of the "Add DE" article about the garden variety being untreated and not suitable. I think we have beat this horse to death. I am adding tonight!

Thanks,
Rodney

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.