Painting my PVC

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
Another post I read about stripping the paint off PVC remined me to post this.

Is it neccasary or a good idea to paint the above ground portions of my PVC? I'd think it would help to prevent the pipes from degrading due to sunlight. Even after one summer I already notice the handles on my valves are slightly yellow compared to the newer ones.

If it is a good idea, should I paint everything including the valves and handles? Any reccomended/prefered brands or colors I should use? I was thinking maybe black because it would absorb the heat(extra heat is always a plus here in WI) and it would blend in with the surroundings a little better, exp. the pipes that connect the solar panels on the roof.

Thanks,
Adam

Painting does help prevent UV degradation, but mostly it just looks nice. I use a base coat of Krylon Fusion paint to be sure it sticks to the plastic and then an overcoat of whatever color suits the application. It usually ends up being dark green to blend in with a garden. The only problem is you have to reapply every time you make a change to the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.