Pool Wall Plaster Degradation

Jul 8, 2015
The Woodlands
Hey all,

I bought a house in December last year and have been looking after it since then. When I took over it there was some degradation on the walls, the initial inspector said it was from historic algae staining , but I think it was more degradation marks. It is a quartz plaster pool

The problem I have however is that the walls and floor of the pool seem to have started degrading quite rapidly over the past month. A large number of white splotches (etching?) have appeared on both the floor and wall of the pool, whereas there was no markings on the floor before. In the picture attached see the edge of the pool seat, the seat floor and the wall to the right of the seat for this revealing of the white under layer. The parts mentioned previously that were already stained/slightly degraded last December have gotten much worse and also seem to be degrading at an accelerated rate; see the curved part of the pool wall at the top of the image
attachment.php

As far as I can tell the pool chemistry is fine: the pH, alkalinity and calcium are all at recommended levels. The only thing that is slightly high is the cyanuric acid- 100ppm.

If anyone could offer an opinion as to what could be causing the walls to end up like this it would be much appreciated. Or is the plaster just at the end of its lifespan? (I am not sure when it was last re plastered)

Attachments

• 20150623_182054.jpg
    20150623_182054.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 114
Well the first thing you need is a full service test kit. I am going to guess that your Taylor kit is the Taylor 2005. It is not a complete kit. It is missing a test that is really needed to take good care of your pool. Let me know if I am right and I can link to where you can get the missing test.

pitted/rough to the touch---does sound like your plaster is trying to give up. I am NOT an expert on plaster so I will let them comment on that part of it.

Where are The Woodlands? State? can you please put it in your location.

Can you also put your pool info. in your siggy also? THANKS!

Kim

Where are The Woodlands? State? can you please put it in your location.

Can you also put your pool info. in your siggy also? THANKS!

Kim

I assume he means The Woodlands as the suburb of Houston, TX.

Is there any way to find out the age of the plaster that is there? Even a brand new quartz aggregate plaster feels rough, but pitted is hard to say if you haven't felt a bunch of different pools to have a frame of reference. If you're missing chunks (the first pic looks like a chunk is missing from the steps), that's a good indication your plaster is on its way out and you should start thinking about a plan to replace it in the not too distant future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.