Bayside Build

I have not really made any progress on the build since the last update as I took some time off to spend with the kids while they were on spring break. I did try mixing some stucco up to test the tint color. I used the brown tint and it called for grey base finish stucco but I could not find grey so I tried white base. The stucco came out a light tan almost pink color. I will have to hunt around for the grey base stucco and test it again. Glad I tested it first before just putting it on and having to redo it. Since I did have it mixed up though I did practice applying it to some scrap pieces of Hardie Board. Even with no adhesive once it dried there was a good bond. I could not chip it off the board easily nor get it to pop off by flexing the cement board. Now I know with the cement glue it should never come off.

I did spend most of Saturday afternoon doing yard work and getting ready to have some friends over to break in the new grill and watch an outdoor movie.

I know this is a little off topic however the idea for the movie screen came out of the design/brainstorming stages of the outdoor kitchen. The short story is while planning for the island about 18 months ago my wife kept asking me if I was going to put a TV in it. I kept saying “no” because there was not a great way to do it and still have the focus from the bar area be the water view. After about the 4th time of her asking me the idea hit me that I was given a decent used DLP projector that I had never used and it was still in the closet so why not build a real movie screen for larger audiences to enjoy at night like the old drive in theaters. I already had the audio portion under control since I had installed outdoor speakers throughout the backyard a couple years before. So I ran a video feed and power under the pavers into a covered box I installed close to the edge of the pavers bought a cheap music stand to hold the projector and I had the video covered. I bought a 12’ * 12’ light truss for about 150.00 to use as a frame and some blackout cloth material for the screen. Sewed black webbing on the edges of the blackout material to give it a nice border and to mount some grommets in, attached it to the frame with 9” ball bungee cords and we were in business. A portable outdoor movie screen that I can have up or down in less than 15 minutes.

I have attached a couple shots of the movie screen setup with the view from the bar area.

[attachment=1:3hawsmee]CIMG0803 (2).JPG[/attachment:3hawsmee]

[attachment=0:3hawsmee]CIMG0806 (2).JPG[/attachment:3hawsmee]

Once people started arriving I fired up the grill and cooked for about 20 folks then once the sun set we cranked up the movie and enjoyed a nice evening outside. Kids always seem to get a kick out of watching movies outside on a 150” screen.

We did several movies outside last year but it was much nicer this time having the outdoor kitchen and cold beer in the fridge. The side burner did a great job on the popcorn as well.

If anyone wants more details on the movie setup let me know and I will be happy to share.

Once I find some grey base stucco I will test the color of the tint again and hopefully get it applied to finish the project up.
Brad

Attachments

• CIMG0803 (2).JPG
    CIMG0803 (2).JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • CIMG0806 (2).JPG
    CIMG0806 (2).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,052
Thanks Greg and dlduvall for the nice comments. I appreciate it.

Finally figured out how to turn the flash off on the new camera so here are a couple of better night shots to show the lights.

Here is one of the back side of the bar. These are single LED lights with a diffuser to help spread the lights out.
[attachment=2:115o1umj]CIMG0883 (2).JPG[/attachment:115o1umj]

Here is one of the front of the island showing the lights in the backsplash and one in the bottle opener above the trash can.
[attachment=1:115o1umj]CIMG0884 (2).JPG[/attachment:115o1umj]

And one with the flash on for a little more perspective.

[attachment=0:115o1umj]CIMG0885 (2).JPG[/attachment:115o1umj]

Attachments

• CIMG0883 (2).JPG
    CIMG0883 (2).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 982
  • CIMG0884 (2).JPG
    CIMG0884 (2).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 981
  • CIMG0885 (2).JPG
    CIMG0885 (2).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 986
I was sitting on the upstairs balcony today and took this overhead shot of the island.
[attachment=0:ef1kf3wx]CIMG0867 (2).JPG[/attachment:ef1kf3wx]

Still no luck find grey base finish stucco. I called the Quickrete plant for my area and they do not make it for this area. I will try contacting Sacrete tommorrow to see if they have it in this area.

Brad

Attachments

• CIMG0867 (2).JPG
    CIMG0867 (2).JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 977
Have I missed anything? Is the outside covered yet? I like the satin finsh of the granite. It reminds me of my Toolmaker days with the huge precision grante plates we used to inspect and set up tooling on. They were 18 to 24" thick and had to be moved with heavy forklifts.

Thanks Dave. No unfortunately you have not missed anything. Still no luck finding grey base finish stucco in my area. I have talked to both sakrete and quickrete and they say they provide it in the west coast but not the east coast. I may end up having to paint the stucco rather than tint if I can not find it anywhere. Before I go that route I will contact some professional stucco contractors and see if they have access to it somehow.

I have taken some vacation or had family in town the last few weekends so I have not been able to really hunt down the stucco. Out of town this weekend going to the race at Talladega so no progress in the immediate future either. Maybe next week when I get back I will be able to jump back on it. I really want to get it finished and quit worrying about it.

Brad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will they not freight a bag over from the nearest west coast territory that has it in stock?
Shipping shouldn't be too bad, I mean, not when considered against the total cost of the project.
It just seems like you wouldn't want to "settle" on one of the final items, possibly introducing a maintainance-type situation, when completing a project of this quality.
ww.freightquote.com is a very helpful site when shopping shipping, they may be useful if the mortar guys don't want to set up their own shipping from their end.

That's the stuff you need. I am surprised that you are unable to find a supplier that will ship you a color pak. These are measured so that each bag of stucco gets a single bag of tint. It is important to mix all of it at once to make sure your color is consistant.
Painting sucks, I would avoid that at all costs. once you start, it never ends. Good stucco tint does not fade much. Mine matches my house perfectly.

Hey Brad,

Wanted to tell you what a great job you've done with this. You've definitely inspired me to get cracking on my build that's been sitting there in limbo for a while, and to post my progress here on TFP (see my recently created topic).

I have a question out of curiosity for you: At the very beginning of your topic, you mentioned among other things that you ran CAT 5 cable to the stub location, but then I didn't see the cat 5 mentioned anywhere after that (maybe I missed it). Just curious as to what you used the cat 5 for. Are you putting in ethernet ports for your network? Phone jacks, maybe? T1 WAN? Is it a top secret government project? Fill me in, as long as you don't have to kill me after telling me...LOL.

Bernie

berndog46 said:
Hey Brad,

Wanted to tell you what a great job you've done with this. You've definitely inspired me to get cracking on my build that's been sitting there in limbo for a while, and to post my progress here on TFP (see my recently created topic).

I have a question out of curiosity for you: At the very beginning of your topic, you mentioned among other things that you ran CAT 5 cable to the stub location, but then I didn't see the cat 5 mentioned anywhere after that (maybe I missed it). Just curious as to what you used the cat 5 for. Are you putting in ethernet ports for your network? Phone jacks, maybe? T1 WAN? Is it a top secret government project? Fill me in, as long as you don't have to kill me after telling me...LOL.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie for the feedback. I appreciate it alot. Glad you have the bug again. I really enjoyed working on mine.

As for the cat 5 yes I did run it but have not used it yet nor have I used the RG6 coax cable. I did really because I had the pavers up and trench dug so I put them in for future use if needed. The coax is pretty self explainitory and can be used for cable/satelite feeds if needed. The cat 5 though gives me lots of potential options beyond ethernet ports and phone jacks. While they could be used for that I have wireless setup inside that gives me network access on the patio as well and I mainly use my cell so I doubt I would ever put a landline out there but could. I will explain some none typicall uses of cat 5 and why I put it out. Sorry if this gets long but if I post the details it may give others some ideas for audio/video in there builds.

It goes back to when I was adding sound to the patio area which then led to building my outdoor theater. I started with audio.

About 5 years ago after purchasing my indoor home theater setup I realized that I had purchased a multi-zoned receiver so I did the next logical step and wired my patio and balcony for audio and installed speakers outside for music. We spend a lot of time outside and I wanted something that would sound good, be easy to use and allow the source for audio to be selected while outside from any device connected to the receiver. This includes the DVD player, Radio/Tuner, Satellite TV and Audiotron (a networked mp3 player that streams music from PC/Server) as I have about 160 gigs of mp3s. I ended up going with a Niles Audio Intellipad that functions basically as a wall mounted remote control. It controls zone 2 of the receiver which also allows me to listen to a different source outside than inside.

[attachment=1:2gsqgmdu]Intellipad.JPG[/attachment:2gsqgmdu]

Here is a picture of it installed outside. I actually have 2 of these installed one for the patio/deck and the other for the balcony. It allows volume control, source selection, pause, stop, rewind, fast forward, skip, channel change, etc. for all programmed devices. My thought with the cat 5 pulled to the island I could add another intellipad to the island if I ever wanted to control sound and source from the island. It uses 1 cat 5 cable for power and data transmission.

For the video portion of my outdoor theater I needed a way to get power and video feed to the projector that would be at the end of the patio. I have to admit that I am pretty anal about cables and wires all over the place. I worry about people tripping over them etc., so I ended up running the cabling and power under the pavers. They were pretty easy to pop up run the wires in the sand under them then put back in place. When I got to the foot of the projector stand I used a saw with a masonry blade to cut a square hole for a 6” * 6” outdoor electrical box. I fed the wires in and mounted an interior box for the power, coax and cat 5 cabling. When not in use I put the cover on with the 4 screws and it is flush with the pavers.

[attachment=0:2gsqgmdu]Box.JPG[/attachment:2gsqgmdu]

To hold the inner box in place and provide some waterproofing I sprayed in some of the great stuff expanding foam. It does a good job of holding the box in place and providing the waterproofing but was very messy. I wish I could have achieved a more finished look with it but of course it is not really something that anyone will see or notice.

As for the video connection I use a balun to distribute the video signal to the projector using cat 5 cabling. I have done this in the past and it works well. I can pass most any type of signal (component, s-video, composite and even audio including digital) over cat 5 with a balun. HD signals can be passed as well. Now all I have to do is connect the projector power and a cat 5 cable from the balun that is connected to the projector to the connection in the box and I am set. I can control the DVD player from the Intellipad that I described above to start the movie, pause, rewind etc. This works well as I can play music as people are coming in then when it is dark and show time switch to the DVD player hit play and watch the movie.

So having explained some other uses for cat 5 for audio/video adding cat 5 gives me several options for the island. While I have not decided to use an intellipad in the island I have decided to add a 3.5mm audio jack to the island that will connect to a balun connected to one of the cat 5 cables that is running back to my receiver. This will allow me to plug my iphone into it and select music from the iphone. The iphone can be left on the island so others can select songs to hear while setting at the bar.

Sorry for the long post but I thought since you asked it would be worth explaining.

Hope this helps and let me know if you would like more detail on this.

Brad

Attachments

• Intellipad.JPG
    Intellipad.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 758
  • Box.JPG
    Box.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 758
Wow, Brad...all I can say is...WOW! :shock: That is truly awesome. I love that Intellipad...great way to leverage your indoor system for the outdoors. Does that only work with your particular receiver, or it it universal? How does it integrate with the receiver? I'm gonna have to look into that. I was considering installing a small outdoor sound system, perhaps a marine stereo system, but this might be a better option if I can use it with my lower-end Samsung Home Theater system...but it's not multi-zoned, so I guess I can't really wire outdoor speakers to it, can I? I don't know...Sorry, but I'm a complete audio amateur, too, especially when it comes to the great outdoors...

And no need to apologize at all for the details and the long post...I think every bit of information can be very helpful to someone. And BTW, I figured you had to have a WiFi LAN setup, and who uses wireline telephones anymore, anyway??? LOL...I was being a bit fecicious, of course. But I think it's great that you plan ahead so well, even for the unknown. I think that's an important lesson for us not-so-experienced DIY'ers. Kudos! Being in telecom, I'm very aware of the versatility of cat 5, so it's a great idea to run it, just in case, for those future bright ideas :idea: . I'm glad I ran plenty of conduit prior to pouring the concrete slab, that's for sure.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable knowledge and experience.

Bernie

berndog46 said:
Wow, Brad...all I can say is...WOW! :shock: That is truly awesome. I love that Intellipad...great way to leverage your indoor system for the outdoors. Does that only work with your particular receiver, or it it universal? How does it integrate with the receiver? I'm gonna have to look into that. I was considering installing a small outdoor sound system, perhaps a marine stereo system, but this might be a better option if I can use it with my lower-end Samsung Home Theater system...but it's not multi-zoned, so I guess I can't really wire outdoor speakers to it, can I? I don't know...Sorry, but I'm a complete audio amateur, too, especially when it comes to the great outdoors...

And no need to apologize at all for the details and the long post...I think every bit of information can be very helpful to someone. And BTW, I figured you had to have a WiFi LAN setup, and who uses wireline telephones anymore, anyway??? LOL...I was being a bit fecicious, of course. But I think it's great that you plan ahead so well, even for the unknown. I think that's an important lesson for us not-so-experienced DIY'ers. Kudos! Being in telecom, I'm very aware of the versatility of cat 5, so it's a great idea to run it, just in case, for those future bright ideas :idea: . I'm glad I ran plenty of conduit prior to pouring the concrete slab, that's for sure.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable knowledge and experience.

Bernie

Hey Bernie,

I could tell you were being fecicious no offense taken. :-D The intellipads are basically a wall mounted universal remote so they work with any IR equipment. When you take the faceplate off there is an IR "eye" to learn the remote codes like most learning remotes. It stores them then issues the IR command when pressed. It allows macros to be built as well for issues multiple commands in order. Pretty cool. It sends the IR command via cat 5 to a box behind the receiver that allows IR flashers to be connected to. The IR flashers then transmit the IR signal to the "eye" on the front of the device. The box allows multiple flashers to be connected for many devices then broadcasts them to the flashers so it is as if a remote was used to send the command. They are more commonly used in situations where the av equipment is hidden or in an av closet. I have had this stuff installed for about 6 years now and it was good quality stuff at the time and still available today. Also RF remotes have come along lately and I hear work well to remove the need to have the cat 5 cabling.

You could use this type of equipment for your setup it just means you would have to listen to the same thing inside as out. If your receiver has an A and B speaker option you could use the B speakers for outside.

Brad

Well looks like I finally found some stucco. Found a local distributor for http://www.acrocrete.com This is a premixed stucco available in a variety of finishes and about 50 colors. I picked up 2 5 gallon buckets and had it tinted to their country tan color. I hope the weather is good in the morning to I can get it applied. Once I do that I should be able to wrap up the other loose ends pretty quickly. I will post more pics of the progress if all goes well tomorrow.

Brad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.