Algae but No Chemiclas in Pool

Jun 14, 2015
North haledon, nj
We filled up our pool on July 3rd and we're not able to start adding the necessary chemicals until today the 8th. The water has turned a medium bright green color and we have no clue how to start clearing it up. We plan to use a salt water system with our pool so do we just add the salt and start running the filter and generator or do we need to add other chemicals first?? Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Is it a clear green or cloudy green? Where did the water for the fill come from (well/tap water/trucked in water)?

Even with a SWCG it is best to get the chlorine up with liquid first and then turn on the SWCG.

Do you have a test kit?

I would say cloudy green since I can't see the bottom. We used tap water to fill. I don't have a test kit since I was planning on taking the water to the pool store so I can get accurate readings. I wanted to make sure I do it right the first time lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 53
HI! And what Tim said. Once we know those basics we can help you get your pool CLEAR!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

No pool store please, pretty please! They are wrong more than they are right :(

Yeah they will test your water for free. BUT is it really free if you have are told to buy x,y,z at $$??? Nope and most of the time it does no work :(

Look at my siggy to find the test kits we use and love. Here at TFP we are all about YOU taking care of YOUR pool. It is cheap and easy to do once you have a good test kit.

Let us know when you test kits gets there and we can help you clear your pool.

Kim

My first suggestion is not to go to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here either. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Welcome to the site!

I don't have a test kit since I was planning on taking the water to the pool store so I can get accurate readings. I wanted to make sure I do it right the first time lol.

If you really want to do it right totally avoid the pool store. They are the cause of so many messed up pools. Check out post #34 on this thread for a great recent example.
No Chlorine in pool - Page 2

The pool store's "help" in clearing up a green pool like yours is going to be to sell you a bunch of expensive chemicals that may or may not clear the pool but for sure will add unneeded chemicals that will cause a future green episode.

What did you use for testing? Strips or a drop based test? Strips are worthless, PH test using drops is okay, and is part of the recommended kits. CL with drops is okay as well though not as accurate or high enough reading for clearing a green pool. The .5 could be from your tap water if it's chlorinated by the city. Ignore the BR number as that is bromine which you won't be using with a SWG. One of the reasons to get the recommended test kit is you have to be able to accurately read Chlorine above 5 for the SLAM process to work. The reason we recommend the TF-100 with XL option is that it comes with enough reagents to test a swamp until it's clear. The Taylor K-2006 will work but you'll have to buy additional reagents to get through the SLAM process so you might as well get the TF-100.

Ummm... If you are running this pool with the provided pump/filter, you are looking at a long process for clearing the mess, even with a good test kit. It can be an interesting challenge. However, you should at least consider the alternative of draining the pool, scrubbing it a bit, and starting over. That depends partly on how difficult or expensive a refill would be for you.

Please take a look at this, and give it some thought.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

If the refill option is feasible for you, you will probably be swimming sooner than if you opt for fighting the swamp.

Edited to add: I have a pool of similar size to yours, with a larger pump and filter than stock. Even with a good test kit in hand, if the water looked like that, I would plan on lots and lots of bleach, frequent testing (maybe five times a day, at least initially), daily brushing (without seeing what you are doing, because of the murky water), and likely several weeks elapsed time before the pool looked good and totally clear again. That prospect would give me pause... and that's coming from someone who actually enjoys pool maintenance ��

I'd like to know why you couldn't add chemicals for 5 days after filling. If it was some issue with your life schedule, we would have recommended not even filling it until you had some chlorine ready to go. If it's on the advice of a manufacturer or pool store, let's get that cleared up. Letting it sit for 5 days was guaranteed to give you a pool full of algae. It will take you more than 5 days and probably more money in liquid chlorine to combat this, than it would just to do it right from day 1 of the fill. Unless you have major water restrictions in your area.

If you are committed to this batch of water...you'll need a recommended test kit, granule stabilizer, a gallon of muriatic acid, and get at least 10 gallons of liquid chlorine/bleach to start out.

Once you have a test kit we can get real numbers and start on your algae killing SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.