Midnight blue plaster fading after one year?

Hello,

Last year, my Diamond Brite Midnight Blue plaster was a much richer, deeper blue. This year (second year of new pool) the plaster looks like it has been bleached out. I am not sure if this is due to using the TFP approach (i.e., borax, etc) which makes the water so clear that the light refracting off of it makes the water look different or if there is an actual lightening of the plaster.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

One thing for sure, if you've followed the TFPC method, there is no problem from a Chemical attack or bleaching effect. I would dare say even if you had exceeded FC guidelines there shouldn't be an issue with that...within reason of course. Perhaps it's an optical issue as you mention, but I would bet on the dye fading if it isn't. Some dyes are prone to fading, with Blues being among the worst. This is why the upper line finishes in darker Blues are so expensive. Inorganic Blue dyes that don't fade or mottle badly, command very high premiums. Why it's so expensive I don't know, but apparently, this is a high cost issue to get around. Before and after pics under same or very similar lighting conditions would be interesting to see if you can post some.

My wife thinks the change may be related to the use of liquid bleach and/or Mule 20 Borax.

- - - Updated - - -

Photos attached. Note the darker blue (nearly same exact time and date last year) compared to this year's lighter color.

Any further thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 279
Liquid chlorine would not cause any problems assuming your ppm FC was the same as if you had used pool store chemical chlorine (tabs, powder). Chlorine is chlorine, no matter where you're getting it from.

How is your Calcium level? If high, you might be seeing a bit of scaling on the surface which would appear to cloud the blue.

Got a full set of test results you can share?

I had the same issue. I believe the dye is not UV stable and so it greys out. A neighbor used the same plaster company as me and did a TAN plaster pool and although it has faded it is still tan. I believe the only way to hold the color is with a Pebble finish as its in the glass that's embedded in the plaster VS a pigment/ dye. I believe they same thing happens if you dye concrete on a patio. The sun just washes it out.

My blue pool is now grey, but it still looks good.

Ditto, my black plaster is more than half gray now after 5 years. It started after a couple of years Blue is the worst generally because they have to use organic dyes to make blue plaster and it fades.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
El Duderino - I just read all your posts from your Blog and on the forum. What has come of the midnight blue fading issue? Did you ever hear back from the company? This is disheartening because its the color I wanted for my pool. My wife and I just love that shade of blue. There are a number of threads about the fade issues.... How bad is the color? I would like to see how it looks if you were up to sharing some pics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.