Preventing Algae While Out of Town

pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I'm sure this is a common question but a quick search didn't result in any posts that were relevant to my specific situation. In a couple weeks we are going out of town and don't have anyone to add chemicals to our pool. We'll be gone about a week. I want to do anything I can to avoid a SLAM since I have already done two this year and we've only been in the pool 3 times! LOL (Yeah, I'm a noob. :cheers:)

So far, I have only been using PH down and liquid chlorine as needed. CYA is at 40 and we run the filter 24/7. I have a bottle of non-copper algaecide that I was thinking about adding. Good idea or no? Also, should I leave the solar cover on or off? What else should I do with the chemicals, oh wise ones???

Thank you in advance!

Our usual advice for those who must leave their pools unattended for a week or more is to raise the FC to shock level, put on a pool cover if you have one, and run the pump on a timer if cleaning the skimmer is not an issue. Since your CYA is on the lower end, you can put 1 or 2 pucks in a floater and leave the cover off if you leave the pump running on a timer. You can add a dose of polyquat based algaecide as insurance if you wish.

If you have a lot of debris that drops in the pool and will clog the skimmer if it is not emptied regularly then just raise the FC to shock level, cover the pool if you can, and turn off the pump.

Most of the folks who follow this advice come home to pools that just need a good vacuuming and an overnight bump to shock level to be ready to swim again.

I would ask yourself These questions:

1). What is your average daily FC loss?
2). About how how much liquid chlorine do you usually add each day?

If your FC maintains, there should be no reason for a commercial algaecide that might add other things to your water.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our usual advice for those who must leave their pools unattended for a week or more is to raise the FC to shock level, put on a pool cover if you have one, and run the pump on a timer if cleaning the skimmer is not an issue. Since your CYA is on the lower end, you can put 1 or 2 pucks in a floater and leave the cover off if you leave the pump running on a timer. You can add a dose of polyquat based algaecide as insurance if you wish.

If you have a lot of debris that drops in the pool and will clog the skimmer if it is not emptied regularly then just raise the FC to shock level, cover the pool if you can, and turn off the pump.

Most of the folks who follow this advice come home to pools that just need a good vacuuming and an overnight bump to shock level to be ready to swim again.

We don't get a a lot of debris or stuff through the skimmer so we are cool there. I'll probably just shock it, leave the solar cover on, and pray. LOL Is there any benefit to (or problems with) raising the FC higher than the recommended shock level? Also, what's the purpose of running the pump on a timer? I was just planning on leaving it on 24/7. Is that a mistake?

Thanks so much!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.