Another SLAM question- Algae

Jun 1, 2015
LI, New York
I have been SLAMing my 30000 gal pool for the past couple of days to deal with an algae problem. Cya level is 80, so my goal has been to keep FC at 31. Initial CC level was only 0.5. The first night had chlorine loss of only 1.5 ppm, will repeat the test tonight. My problem is, although the clarity of the water is significantly improved, I still see green algae on the walls. I have been brushing daily, but perhaps not enough and may not be getting hard to reach areas. Without sunlight, it is actually very hard to see which areas need it. My questions are:

1) I have been running my Aquabot the whole time, assuming that would help. Good idea?
2) Shouldn't all the free chlorine be killing the algae on the walls? Why is it still green?
3) When this process is done, is it safe to swim when the FC level is still say in the 20s?
4) I have been resisting the temptation to add an algaecide. Would it help move this process along faster?

Hoping to swim by the weekend!

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Hello again Jeff. I can't speak for the Aquabot specifically, but certainly keep the pump going 24/7. Yes, the FC will "eventually" kill the algae, but it is working against the sun during the day as well. So hang in there. It is safe to swim up to your SLAM FC level and below as long as the water is not terribly murky. So at an FC of 31, you are good to swim at 31 and below. Algaecide? RESIST the demons! Do not do it. You will be wasting money and it could be counter-productive adding chemicals to the water your pool doesn't need. Run away from the pool store. :)

Brush Brush Brush :) brushing gets the chlorine to the algea to kill it..

1. good idea
2. it will the more you brush, may need to brush 4 to 6 times a day, free workout :)
3. as long as the FC is below SLAM you are good to swim
4. nope, it will not..

Brushed the heck out of it today and seeing a lot of the grey stuff now but still some green. CC level is now 1.5, which was surprising- I thought that would remain low. Already running out of R-0871 and can't find the stuff anywhere locally.

Finally got my new reagent yesterday and was able to start testing again. Past three days I have just been adding 2 jugs of chlorine a day without knowing the level. Was happy to see I was still at shock level last night and overnight FC loss was zero. Water is crystal clear and doesn't smell. So happy with the result and a little disgusted to think about what we were swimming in before! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Towards the end of a SLAM, FC will not have as much active algae to compete with, so that's one way to know when you're winning the battle. And yes, with a higher CYA, it will protect that FC better from the sun and UV rays enabling the FC to last a bit longer. That's good. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.