What is DE?

Henry Porter

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
Sweden
What is DE?

EDIT: I've found out what it means. Can you choose to run a sandfilter with DE only? Or will it take to much preassure to run the water through it.

Before reading in here I thought cartridge filter was only used on smaller pools. No when I knows that this is not the case I have to look into cartridge as an option to sandfilter.
From the information I have gathered from the swedish poolforum I think 99% of the inground pools over here use sandfilters. And I can't remember that stores I have visit on the net or in person keeps them either.
I really like the fact that cartridge can filter smaller particles than sandfilters. Are there any thumb rules what you should consider before thinking of buying a cartridge filter instead of a sandfilter, in terms of size and quality?

Re: Anyone using Zeobrite/Zeosand?

DE is Diatomaceous earth, basically a very very fine powder with lots of sharp edges. DE is most commonly used in DE filters, which use DE to achieve the best filtering of any of the usual kinds of pool filters. The very fine grains mean that only extremely small particles can fit through the gaps between grains .The many sharp edges help the dirt stick to the DE and not get washed on through the filter.

Re: Anyone using Zeobrite/Zeosand?

Thanks Jason!
Aren't there any down sides with a DE filter?
If it´s able to filtering the smallest particles it sounds to my ear that it's should be the first option for pool filtration.
I've read that it's take a few backwashes to get the DE bed clean and new powder must be added after a backwash. If I understood the article correct you also need an annual total cleaning of the filter and DE bed in contrary to a sandfilter. Those things seems to me that you could live with if you get an more efficient cleaning of your water. Besides from that it to work quite like an ordinary sandfilter or have I missed something? Yeah, you need to replace the grids every now and then, that might be expensive?

Sorry if I hijacking this thread with all this questions. I'm gonna try the search button and see what I find.

There is a good comparison of the various kinds of filters over at Pool School.

Briefly, DE filters cost more to use (but only a little), are more work to maintain, and clog more quickly. The extra work and expense isn't huge, but it is enough to get many people to choose another kind of filter, despite the better filtering of DE filters.

Thanks Jason! That was a good and esay understandable read, even I understood most of it.

Hi Heikejohn! I thought just like you after reading what I think waterbear wrote on the subject.
From my understanding most of the filtration take place in the top surface of the filter and for that reason adding a level of DE on top would most certainly make a difference.
Net skims in the skimmers and DE on top of a oversized filter sounds like an good idea. My main objective and very much so is to get as good water quality as possible. Probably not an original thought, but since I know my youngest not gonna leave the water more then to eat the first couple of month's, a clear and healthy water is a must.
Aren't their any users of DE filter on these boards. Please chime in and share it would be most appreciated.

i personally dont like DE filters. They do a great job at filtering the water... But just the mess they make when u backwash is enough for me to not like them... Alot of townships here dont allow you to backwash into the street if you own a de filter, so your stuck dumping all of it into your own yard! Also while your re charging the filter with new DE you have to be very carful not to breath in the dust from the powder.

ive added 1lb of de into a sand filter a few times and it did help clear the pool much faster. But once the pool was clean and clear i just left the sand filter alone.

Im 99% sure they make a product you can use instead of DE. I belive its a very very fine sea shell powder? Its much safer for you and the enviroment. But you'd have to google it or something.

My favorite is a sand filter..(the lazy mans filter as i call it) If you keep the pool clear and clean and never have problems with LARGE amounts of algae a sand filter works great and is very easy to maintain.

The alternative to DE is cellulose based products like Fiber Clear or ZeoFiber. They cost way more than DE and don't work quite as well but they are safe to use and biodegradable.

I'm with Heckpools, sand filters are very very easy to use and work well enough for most people. But there are others here who would never give up their DE filters and yet others who love their cartridge filters.

I am one of those who loves my DE filter.

I did invest in a separation tank so that I am able to capture the DE and dispose of it rather than dump it on the ground. I plumbed it so I can (optionally) return the backwash water to the pool. The combination really makes it easy to maintain the DE filter and minimizes water loss for backwashing.

I find in my setup I only need to backwash two or three times a season, so it is really not much of a burden.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.