Algae on Solar Cover?

pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
So I did I no-no and I ignored my pool for about a week because we had heavy rain. I lifted the corner of the solar cover & added chlorine a couple times but I didn't really test or make sure anything was at the proper levels. When we finally had a nice day, I took off the cover & algae had started. :(

So now I have learned my lesson & have been slamming for about 4 or 5 days. The pool is looking great but I am worried about the cover. What can I do to keep the cover from reinfecting the pool with algae? It's been sitting on the side of the pool in a semi-rolled up heap & I'm too nervous to put it back on my sparkling, clear pool.

Thanks for the help!

I'd put that cover back on the pool while SLAMing. That will kill all the algae on it. Are the bubbles waterlogged, full of algae? Is the cover old? If the bubbles are holding algae inside them, it might be time to replace. An alternative if you don't feel the cover needs to be replaced is to spread it out and scrub/mop both sides of the cover with a mild bleach solution.

Thank you for the info. The cover is brand new. We have only used it for couple weeks so it should be (hopefully) be an easy task. I think I'll put it back on & continue SLAMing for a day or two. Thanks a bunch! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.