SLAM Advice?

My pool has been clear all season but I keep having my FC drop to 0 since my SWG went out. We've been gone a lot.
So I decided to SLAM just in case there's any algae or anything I can't see?
a4ce7e36b2b61cbe8cc4297de482f6b0.jpg

This was my before.
So when I started I got my pH to 7.3. Then I added enough bleach to get me up to a 12 FC. My CYA is 30. Those were my 2pm #'s
After that I only checked my FC.
At 6pm my FC was down to 8, so I bumped it back up to 12.
We went to the movies and I checked again at 8pm and I was down to 10, so I bumped it back up to 12 before bed.
Woke up this morning and checked and it was FC 11, CC I can't tell if it turned pink or not, if anything it was .5.

Should I continue one more day? Or do I just let the FC drop now and then maintain?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Looks good to me, I think pre-emptive SLAM is done. It is safe to swim when chlorine is between minimum and shock level. We swam every day for a week and a half while slamming, with cya 70 and FC in upper 20s. Jump in and get those leaves! :)

So I decided to do one more OCLT since we had a busy day anyway yesterday.
After sun went down my FC was 4.5 (9 drops, am I supposed to say .5? Or do you round?)
6am way before suns up
FC 4.5
CC .5
TC 5
PH 8.2
CH 25
TA 180
CYA 30

I know my PH needs to come down before we get in. Is there anything else I need to do right now?
Also to maintain, when do I add bleach? Once a day? Or twice? Is it better to do in the morning or evening?
Is my pH climbing because of the TA?
And should I add more stabilizer to maybe 40?

personally I would raise your FC and re-do the OCLT, the reason is your FC is pretty low and you are getting CC readings. to me that makes me nervous you might have a little bit left.

as far as the higher FC (recommended for OCLT by the way)...your FC is 4.5. a 0.5 drop in FC would be an 11% decrease in FC. if you lost 10%, its below the margin of error for the test (0.5ppm).

if you lost 10% of your FC when your FC was say at 15ppm, then that would be a 1.5ppm drop.

when I did my SLAM I did two OCLT to verify and didn't finalize till I had zero CC

missed that part that it needed to be higher for oclt!
Ok, so reading the SLAM page I'm supposed to lose less than 1ppm FC and have CC at .5 or less?
Also clear water.
Based on that I assumed I was good?
I didn't read on the OCLT page that it needed to be higher so I just grabbed what it was after resting all day and went from there. There was no loss overnight at all so I once again assumed I was good to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is recommended to do the OCLT with FC at 10ish. But if you lost 0 I think it is ok. Although it never hurts to do another.
Your ph is too high, needs to be 7.2 to 7.8.

Raising CYA is a good idea in Texas, 40 or even 50.

Add bleach whenever is convenient for you. Just make sure that when you do you add enough to keep it at target until the next time you test and add. You will get a feel for what that is.

Key points to remember about chlorine
should always be at or above target
should never, ever drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow
It is safe to swim in FC between minimum and shock level.
Yes, it is safe to swim in your pool with FC a tad below shock level.
Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.