Is it possible to maintain pool with lower water levels than it's rated for?

Mar 23, 2015
Liberty/Tx
I purchased a Saltwater 8000 last year which I believe is 54" deep (It's still in the boxes in my garage). My 2 kids are 4 & 6 and I'm afraid I didn't put much thought into this purchase. I was thinking about selling the pool but I would likely take a big hit on it. My question is this.... Is it possible to run this 54" pool at a 36" depth for a couple years then raise it to normal when my children get older?

Thanks in advance...:confused:

I would think it depends on where the inlet and return fittings are in the pool wall.

Even if they're too high you could still do it. It would just require a little creative plumbing on the inside.

I just googled the pool you mentioned and I'm not as familiar with "real" above ground pools as I am with intex.
I do know that one issue is going to be the skimmer. It would normally be near the top of the pool which would make it unusable as the water needs to come about halfway up the skimmer opening.

You could probably still figure out some creative plumbing to get the intake down to your temporary water level but I'm not sure how that would all work.

You could install one of the ones that have a winterization plate that you can install at the lower level so it can be capped off later. Then when you decide to raise the level later, install the regular one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought of something else which would be a question for those of you who are more familiar with the setup and design of this type of pool.

What about stability? I get the impression that some of the stability of the pool walls is gained from the pressure of the water once the pool is filled. As an example, people are usually warned against draining too low because the wind could cause damage to the pool if there isn't enough water in it. Usually they're talking about at least 1 foot of water so if you are all the way up at 3 feet I guess that should be fine but I'd think it wise to double check that before moving forward.

My sister in law bought a pool too deep for her children. They used life vests, then arm floaties for the first two years. Then the kids were tall enough to touch on tippy toes. The were about the same ages as yours when they got the pool. They kept the water toward the bottom of the skimmer the first year. (Have to definitely have it part way above the bottom of skimmer for it to work.)

If you can circulate your water, the water will be OK. Whether you have to lower the skimmer and outlet, I dont know.

However, if your pool is in a sunny hot place your lining will be heated up and will be soft to touch. I had that when I had to lower my pool water once. I filled it up soon after, but I honestly do not know how much lining you could have exposed like this and what the long term (or possibly short term) implications are.

Also water makes the pool stable, lower it too much and it can, well, collapse. Though from your intentions it is not necessary the case. I would more worry about the lining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.