Trying to figure out number of pumps needed for new pool build

Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi everyone, I am building a new pool in SoCal Owner/Builder, and am having a hard time figuring out what kind, and how many pumps to install. My plumber recommended three pumps, one for the pool circulation, one for the spa, and one for the sheer descent. Also, I have heard all kinds of things for an against a variable speed pump, but it does sound like a good way to save energy consumption.

My first question is if i really need three pumps, and if so, what kind of pumps and how many horsepower? Three two-speeds, one variable with two two-speeds, one variable with one two speed and one one speed? Also, how many horsepower for each pump? Its all mind boggling.

Here is a bit of info on my build, it's a rectangular pool with a rectangular spa which will overflow into the pool. Pool is 28x14 and the spa is 8x7. Pool is 3.5 feet to 7 feet deep. The pool equipment will be only about a 15-20 foot run to the spa area. There are 10 jets in the spa. Sheer descent is 5 feet long and is a 10 foot run from the equipment. The sheer descent has been plumbed separately from the rest of the system. Also, i would like to use Jandy equipment if i can because i can get good deals on their equipment.

Thanks in advance for the help, i seriously confused!

If the sheer descent is plumbed separately, then I assume that's a separate pump automatically....correct? Most pools run spa and pool off one pump.

Is your plumbing already complete? How many gallons in your pool?

The piping is all complete, but the pipes are now just under pressure. The pumps, filter, etc. have not been connected yet. Sorry for the confusion. I am still getting this lingo down.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought posting a picture might help.

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.