Green to Brown

Jul 7, 2015
Edgewood, Texas
We finished filling our pool Saturday was a week ago. We added 120 lbs of salt with the filter pump running. Waited 24 hours per directions and started the salt pump. A couple of days later we added 1.5 lbs of CYA. By Friday the water was beginning to turn green. And of course greener on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night we added 1 gallon of bleach. On Monday we added 40 lbs of salt and 2 gallons of bleach as the water was greener. On Monday we also cleaned the salt pump per directions and noticed that the filter on the filter pump was very dirty, so we put in a new filter. This morning (Tuesday) we cleaned the filter and added 5 gallons of bleach. Within 2-3 hours of adding the additional bleach, the water turned brown (We can see the bottom, but it looks like tea or coke, instead of water). We have cleaned the filter 2 more times today and are running both pumps. We do not have a local pool store for testing, so using a home hth 3-way test kit tonight the pH is 7.5 and I guess the Cl and Br are off the charts because the color was orange instead of a shade of yellow. We have wiped the sides down 3 times today. We are waiting for a part for our vaccum to be able to clean the bottom. How can we get rid of the brown water?

Within the last hour, I cleaned the filter for the 3rd time today, brushed the sides for the 3rd time and added the 3rd gallon of bleach. Both pumps are running. The water is still cloudy brown. Any SLAMers have any suggestions?? Or could I be headed in the right direction??

You are headed in the right direction. Killing algae, that is why the filter is clogging up and pool is cloudy. Keep testing and adding chlorine back to shock level every few hours if you can, at least 3 or 4 times per day. And keep brushing, vaccing and filtering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple of gallons a day is probably good. Try to keep your chlorine level between tweety bird yellow and school bus yellow. If it gets to orange julius orange then back off a little.

Turn off the saltwater while you are using the bleach. It will save it some life. The real progress will be made when you get your test kit and can officially start your SLAM. Have you started reading about it yet? It's a good impedance to read other's suds chess stories, it gives you an idea what to expect.

Still waiting on TF100 test kit, but retested the chlorine this morning with the hth 3-way kit. The orange is almost gone. I will retest tonight and most likely need to add a gallon of bleach, I'm guessing. I put 2 gallons in yesterday and none so far today. I have brushed and replaced the filter. Will vacuum again later today. Turned off the salt pump. Still have cloudy, dark brown water.

SLAMers PLEASE HELP! I have tried all of the TF100 test and here is what I got ...

FC - sample turned bright, dark pink immediately upon adding R0870. After adding 300 drops of of R0871 it is still not clear, it is kinda of purplie brownish (not even really close).
Ph 7.5
TA added R-0007 then R-0008 sample turned green. Added 50 drops of R-0009 and sample is clear. Not even a hint of red.
CYA followed the directions and completely filled the CYA VIEW TUBE and black dot was still vaguely visuable.

Added 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach yesterday, but nothing today. Still have dark brown cloudy water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.