Green to Brown

I am a fairly new TFP and have only completed one SLAM. I have never known an FC to be that high. When I perform my test, it goes from dark pink to light pink to barely pink To none.
I'm hoping a more experienced member pipes in soon.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there shouldnt be any diference.
Your directions should read -
add a heaping scoop of R0870 power and swirl
Add R0871 1 drop at a time, counting the drops until the test solution turns clear.
Multiply the drops by .5, and the result is your FC.

I guess I'm a little confused. The directions that came with my TF100 are a little different from the you tube videos referenced above?

Stop adding bleach.
Your FC is way too high.

The FAS-DPD can only really test up to 50ppm.

Given your volumn of 6400 gallons, and a CYA of <20, your slam level is about 10ish, or slightly less.
2 gallons of 8.25 bleach will raise FC in 6400 gallons by 25ppm.
And this has been going on a few days? Even with algae, its reasonable that only about 1/2 of the 25ppm a day you have been adding is being consumed. So the residual FC each day has been adding up.

You need to let the FC come down. Dont add any more bleach. Dont add anything until you can get back to a starting point where you accurately measure FC.

Test your water on Sunday, if the fC is higher than 15ppm (30 drops), then stop testing and save your test regeant.
Do a test each day thereafter until the FC comes down to 15 and then lets go from there.

Once your FC reaches 15, add enough CYA to get that up to 30. Use pool math to figure out how much CYA to add to reach that level.
Dont worry about testing the CYA after you add it. It takes a week or so to show up on the test.

After you added the CYA, then test your pH. If its higher than 7.2, then add enough muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2. (I suspect it will be high)
However if by the slim chance pH is 6.8 or below, use Washing SODA (not washing powerder). to raise the pH to 7 - 7.2

When you have achieved that, then continue to SLAM. With CYA of 30, your new FC slam level will be 12ppm.

hope this helps,

Are 100% sure you were using the R0871 reagent? It is the 2nd largest bottle in the test kit. The reason I ask is because I just recently starting using my TF100 and the 2nd time I did the FC test, I tried to do it by memory, saw Dpd reagent on the bottle in the same compartment as the R0870 powder and started adding it. When I go to 12 drops, I knew there was no way my FC was 6, and then realized I was using R0003

good point! Thanks for bringing it up!

Are 100% sure you were using the R0871 reagent? It is the 2nd largest bottle in the test kit. The reason I ask is because I just recently starting using my TF100 and the 2nd time I did the FC test, I tried to do it by memory, saw Dpd reagent on the bottle in the same compartment as the R0870 powder and started adding it. When I go to 12 drops, I knew there was no way my FC was 6, and then realized I was using R0003

- - - Updated - - -

If there is iron in your fill water, high amounts of chlorine will turn the water brown. Do you by chance fill your pool from a water well? Water wells generally have a good bit of iron in them.

Brushed twice today, added 2 gallons of bleach, vacuumed once and cleaned the filter twice. Still dark brown. Can't really see the bottom. Hopefully we are getting somewhere!?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would follow Dave's advice to save your reagents. In the mean time, I would also play around with the pool math calculator. It was a bit overwhelming for me at first, but once I figured it out, I love it! Study, brush, filter, and let the FC drop.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

Just tested again:

FC 15+ (sample was still bright, dark pink after 30 drops)
CC (did not test since sample never turned clear)
CH 50
TA 200+ (after 20 drops sample was still very pale yellow, never even a hint of red)
CYA 0, I'm assuming (could still vaguely see the black dot after completely filling the view tube
Ph 6.8

I'm on my way out to brush, clean the filter and vacuum.

SLAMer please advise what I should do. I've read the SLAM instructions and looked at the POOLMATH calculator, but I'm not comfortable with knowing what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

One more questions - How do I know what the "target" is for POOLMATH?

Your ph test is not valid when FC is above 10.

All you need to do is follow the SLAM process right now. Do not worry about any levels other than CYA level, FC and CC. Once your pool is clear we can fix the other stuff. Test FC, raise it to shock level for your CYA and repeat every few hours or as often as you can. Clean the filters when pressure rises 20-25%. Brush at least once per day. Scoop or vacuum out all debris daily.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Yes, thats right. Continue to brush and vacuum out anything that you can. I advised not to add any CYA yet, because the CYA would slow down the drop in FC.
Test FC again tomorrow and see where you are.

Having used so many drops of R0871 already, a concern might be that you run out before we get your water fixed up.... so, just food for thought.

would appreciate posting some pics of the brown water if you could. Its one thing to describe it to us. Quite another to actually see it.
Posting Photo's Tutorial

Dave advised above (if I'm understanding him) not to add CYA until my FC is down to 15. I'm assuming since my FC is still above 15 I should just continue to brush, vacuum and clean filter without out adding anything until the FC is down to 15?

Is there any end to this nasty water?! I'm definitely worried about running out of reagents.
8736bc51e5ef5165e816c104c7febea9.jpg
a5d9695d7ef5c8df5250d2cc02d11515.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.