Intex pool pump question

Jul 5, 2015
San Gabriel/ CA
Hello,

I am purchasing a Intex 20' x 12' x 48' easy set pool. It's roughly 5000 gallons and I've read that the 1500gph filter it comes with is under powered.

As a result, I'd interested in purchasing the Intex 2100gph sand filter and Intex 7000 Saltwater system.

Is 2100gph sufficient for the 5000 gallon pool or should i upgrade to a 3000gph filter? Is running a 3000gph filter for a shorter time more effective than running 2100gph filter for a longer time. I plan to eventually upgrade to a 8,000 gallon pool and so the 3000gph may be worth buying since it's just slight more money.

For the saltwater system, the next size up 15000 might be overkill.

Thanks!

I recognize our situations aren't really similar, but I upgraded to the 637R from the 603? Intex Krystal Clear pump and the flow rate still sucks. I have an Easy Set 12' x 30". I'd recommend getting the biggest sand filter pump system you can afford, particularly with planning to upgrade.

Hello,

I am purchasing a Intex 20' x 12' x 48' easy set pool. It's roughly 5000 gallons and I've read that the 1500gph filter it comes with is under powered.

As a result, I'd interested in purchasing the Intex 2100gph sand filter and Intex 7000 Saltwater system.

Is 2100gph sufficient for the 5000 gallon pool or should i upgrade to a 3000gph filter? Is running a 3000gph filter for a shorter time more effective than running 2100gph filter for a longer time. I plan to eventually upgrade to a 8,000 gallon pool and so the 3000gph may be worth buying since it's just slight more money.

Thanks!

Not sure about the saltwater system, but I had the mid size sand pump on my 18'x48" Intex and only ran it 4-6 hours a day, and it was more than enough.

I recognize our situations aren't really similar, but I upgraded to the 637R from the 603? Intex Krystal Clear pump and the flow rate still sucks. I have an Easy Set 12' x 30". I'd recommend getting the biggest sand filter pump system you can afford, particularly with planning to upgrade.

i can get the 3000gph sand filter but I'm not sure if it's too strong since the pool will only be 5000 gallons. Is it better to run a larger filter a shorter time? Or a correctly spec'd filter for a longer time? I'm leaning towars correctly spec'd since more water circulation.

i can get the 3000gph sand filter but I'm not sure if it's too strong since the pool will only be 5000 gallons. Is it better to run a larger filter a shorter time? Or a correctly spec'd filter for a longer time? I'm leaning towars correctly spec'd since more water circulation.

Personally I would go larger filter and more GPH pump. I've never heard of "too much" when it comes to filtering and circulation.

I am very much in your position with the 637R pump. My pool retailer where I buy my chemicals tells me that a pool of any size greater than 16 ft in diameter needs a pump to remain on for 24hrs. People at Intex state that the provided pumps that come with their pool cannot and should not run more than 8hrs. I feel that Intex is therfore not supplying the correct pumps for their pools. I have a 16 x 42 and presently on my second pump and I have had the pool approximately 35 days. What do we do as I am getting conflicting messages. I would certainly have to agree with the retailer that's selling the much needed chemicals to maintain healthy water conditions rather than waking up to a pool that the water needs help immediately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am very much in your position with the 637R pump. My pool retailer where I buy my chemicals tells me that a pool of any size greater than 16 ft in diameter needs a pump to remain on for 24hrs. People at Intex state that the provided pumps that come with their pool cannot and should not run more than 8hrs. I feel that Intex is therfore not supplying the correct pumps for their pools...

Right. And there's zero accountability or corporate integrity. Their tech support is beyond abysmal.

Hello,

Thanks!

I have the 18' x 52" ultra frame mine comes in just under 8000 gallons. The 3000gph is what about 150? I use a waterway 19 inch sand filter 1hp combo that works awesome, plus parts are available locally and people will work on em.
http://www.overstockpools.com/_Waterway_19__Sand_Filter_System_with_1.0hp_Pump_--SKU_WAT520-1915.html
this is the newer model, but it is about 100 more. Add a hayward skimmer and you are ready to go.
My ultra came with one of the sand filters and they are much better than their cartridge filters but side by side with a waterway or hayward they look cheap and flimsy. Mine is running through a krystal klear generator and works great. I run for 6 hrs a day only because my 3 kids are in and out of it several times a day

G

2100 gph would be plenty for a 5000 gal pool. My pool is 6000 gal and my pump is only 1600 gph, and it does a fine job. The only reason I would need a bigger one is to run a robotic vacuum.

So if I'm understanding you correctly Intex can't be held accountable for the pump they provide for the pool and not being able to function properly and if my children and grandchildren come down with a rash, or a bug there's nothing we as consumers do or say. This is literally insane. Somehow Intex has to do something to correct the problem. Soon.
Maybe we need our moderator of this site look into this problem. Immediately .

- - - Updated - - -

I do not understand . Intex needs to be held accountable.

I think the biggest reason that Intex can't be held accountable is that every situation is going to be different, and they don't care. Big picture, most people at most times are going to be at least somewhat satisfied with their product and won't speak up about it - or they won't know any better as they won't invest time and effort into learning more.

It is very much possible to properly maintain an Intex pool with the equipment provided with the pool. Many, many people do it, I have done it with two different Intex pools. There are thousands of people on TFP successfully maintaining Intex pools. Is it easier or better with a filter upgrade? Yes, of course. Same goes for an inground pool a bigger filter does a better job than a smaller filter. Most pool problems are chemistry related and not filter or pump related.

For smaller, seasonal Intex pools this process is the best option,
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

I manage to have nice water in my 18'x48" with the stock pump by following TFP methods upon filling. It was much easier once I got my sand filter, as the person above mentioned. But it can be done with vigilance.

So if I'm understanding you correctly Intex can't be held accountable for the pump they provide for the pool and not being able to function properly and if my children and grandchildren come down with a rash, or a bug there's nothing we as consumers do or say. This is literally insane. Somehow Intex has to do something to correct the problem. Soon.
Maybe we need our moderator of this site look into this problem. Immediately .
Huh? What exactly do you expect the moderators of a volunteer pool care forum to do with respect to Intex?? This isn't a governmental or consumer protection site, or anything of that sort.

Can you email me at: ****@******* I need to give you my phone number with my situation with Intex .

- - - Updated - - -

Or send your number in the email.
Not clear whom you are addressing with this request.

Regarding your personal issues, it sounds like you have had a failed pump replaced under warranty, which is as it should be. The pumps that come with these pools are underpowered and the filters are much smaller than optimal. However, with careful management, keeping on top of chlorine levels at all times, it is possible to run the pool with the included pump. If you or family members come down with a rash or bug, as you say, that is down to inadequate maintenance. It is indeed much easier to run one of these pools with an upgraded pump or filter, which is why many owners of small pools opt to go that way sooner or later.

We started with a 1000 gallon ring-top pool, with a 600 gph pump. Initially, before I understood much about pool chemistry and maintenance requirements, the pool went green and murky at some point during every swim season, and was very difficult to recover. The turning point for us came with an understanding of the pool chemistry (and figuring out how to vacuum by siphoning water overboard; the little pump was much too weak to hook a vacuum to it), not with the purchase of a bigger pump. I did eventually choose to buy a larger pump for our current pool, and will likely upgrade to a sand filter (and better quality pump) at some point when finances permit... but that upgrade is a choice, not a necessity.

Your filter and pump is not what (primarily) sanitizes your water, proper Free Chlorine levels do. If your pump is severely underpowered it will make it difficult to evenly mix the chlorine throughout the pool, but if you brush just a little more that should help.

Your pump's main job is to circulate your water. Your filter's main job is to catch particulate matter (dirt). If your filter is catching algae or bacteria, the are present in your pool because the proper FC levels are not being maintained, and both will most likely continue to multiply inside the filter until it is cleaned.

I just want to make sure you understand how important proper chlorine levels are.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.