Any ideas why my above ground metal frame pool bust and how can I prevent repeat?

Hello!

I'm new to this form so forgive me as I try to figure it out!

I have purchased three Intex metal frame above ground pools in the past four years (5,000 gallons). Each one has been fine for many months and then one day will begin rolling and within half an hour the seam connecting the wall and floor bursts. It always rolls the same direction. We had a concrete slab poured for the pool so it is on level ground. At first we thought it was because the kids were being too rough (cannon balls, waves, general kids pool behavior) but this time they were just floating/hanging out. It started to go a month ago so we drained the pool, re-positioned and had it refilled ($250!) but this evening it burst yet again. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any theories why this keeps happening? We had a large amount of rain recently, could it be connected? Is there a way to prevent it happening again in the future? Thank you!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 726
I never saw one lift the poles off the ground before. The neighbor had one that the poles bent, twice. They left it completely empty all winter and it buckled. (The second one) have you checked to see if your concrete pad settled crooked or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Proseries is different than Intex. Intex has thicker beams. You may want to try that brand, if you decide to try again.

Yes, it appears the pool side is as least 1 foot lifted up and floor bulging out under the lifted portion. Be nice if photos were posted the right way up.
I just do not see how that can happen all on it's own, especially more than once with different pools (unless the ground is extremely un-level and I mean extreme)

That looks like the result of an unlevel setup. Look at the water line, it's almost perfect across what I can see, but one side of the pool has it's legs lifted off the ground!!

Did you confirm that the slab is truly level in all directions? My patio slab has a pitch for drainage.

Dom

Basically the pool has rolled so that it lifted the legs off the ground in the back and part of the front sidewall is under the pool. I think it may be caused by people climbing or jumping off the side near the ladder. This is not common behavior for an Intex style pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am still curious as to where the feet are for the posts. I've seen hundreds of pics of these pools in all sizes and styles and they have always had feet. Perhaps someone took them off after bulge to prevent
it from popping it. But I would think the plastic feet would be better touching the bulge then metal. Or maybe they got ripped off by the bulge. Shrugs lol.
I've got the 22x54 Ultra and at my former house it was on a hit and un-level as all heck. It looked more like a roller coaster then a pool.
I had an 8 foot fiberglass slide with all sorts of kids making waves so much the water would run over the edge at the low side.
So it's hard to imagine just being un-level as the cause.
Seen 'zea3' post about people climbing or jumping off the side. For sure, jumping I would imagine would shake things up a bit.

I think my next question would be about the "concrete patio". Is the pool directly on the concrete with no padding or sand? I can't quite see in the picture what the bottom is looking like.

As others mentioned it's really hard to believe this could happen more then once even. Pretty crazy site it is. I reckon we'll wait on the answer to feet and concrete patio.

You can see one of the feet lying on the ground below the drain hole. They don't fit very tightly, and probably all fell off when the legs lifted off the ground.

My/Our pool liner has lasted over 5 years now, with some of the rowdiest playing I've seen, poles a flexing and maintaining and staying vertical, I just can't see how this happened if everything is right, and I see something is not rite.

I can't imagine this pool/slab being level at all. That's my assumption n I'm sticking to it.

Agreed. I don't see any other way one could roll over like that, even if you tried to push it over. Unless maybe one of the tee connectors on the other side rusted through and broke.

Is it not odd to everyone that it looks level with it bulges out like that? So let's think about what it'd look like if It weren't bulging n the bottom weren't protruding. It'd be several inches out of level.

Is it not odd to everyone that it looks level with it bulges out like that? So let's think about what it'd look like if It weren't bulging n the bottom weren't protruding. It'd be several inches out of level.
I'm with you Casey, there is no way that pool started off level..........

That looks like the result of an unlevel setup. Look at the water line, it's almost perfect across what I can see, but one side of the pool has it's legs lifted off the ground!!

Did you confirm that the slab is truly level in all directions? My patio slab has a pitch for drainage.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.