Any ideas why my above ground metal frame pool bust and how can I prevent repeat?

They did a few times before we established a no entry over the side rule...they are young and always swim with supervision and after a few reminders it hasn't been a problem...do you think that could cause this?

- - - Updated - - -

I have not checked the pad...we only had it poured a few years ago so I don't think it would have settled that much... I did realize the Intex/Pro Series error after posting...will look into the Intex.

- - - Updated - - -

We removed the feet after it began to roll.

- - - Updated - - -

When the last pool collapsed we assumed the kids making waves was the reasons...so we put a stop to that but obviously it didn't help...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 293
You should put a 3' level on that slab and check all directions. Most slabs will have a pitch for water drainage.

When you set the pool up was the waterline even all the way around the pool?

Dom

Last edited:
Are my eyes deceiving me, or are the legs completely off the ground and the pool bulging?
Is it possible that the pool ground isn't completely level?

I would find it hard to believe because the pad is that crooked as it was poured by a professional only a few years ago...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it appears the pool side is as least 1 foot lifted up and floor bulging out under the lifted portion. Be nice if photos were posted the right way up.
I just do not see how that can happen all on it's own, especially more than once with different pools (unless the ground is extremely un-level and I mean extreme)

I agree...the slab may not be perfectly level but I don't think it is so un-level as to cause this.

I would find it hard to believe because the pad is that crooked as it was poured by a professional only a few years ago...
Most pro's would put a pitch for drainage unless you specified it to be perfectly level.

You still need to double check it to either confirm or eliminate this as the root cause for failure.

Dom

I am still curious as to where the feet are for the posts. I've seen hundreds of pics of these pools in all sizes and styles and they have always had feet. Perhaps someone took them off after bulge to prevent
it from popping it. But I would think the plastic feet would be better touching the bulge then metal. Or maybe they got ripped off by the bulge. Shrugs lol.
I've got the 22x54 Ultra and at my former house it was on a hit and un-level as all heck. It looked more like a roller coaster then a pool.
I had an 8 foot fiberglass slide with all sorts of kids making waves so much the water would run over the edge at the low side.
So it's hard to imagine just being un-level as the cause.
Seen 'zea3' post about people climbing or jumping off the side. For sure, jumping I would imagine would shake things up a bit.

I think my next question would be about the "concrete patio". Is the pool directly on the concrete with no padding or sand? I can't quite see in the picture what the bottom is looking like.

As others mentioned it's really hard to believe this could happen more then once even. Pretty crazy site it is. I reckon we'll wait on the answer to feet and concrete patio.

It is directly on the concrete with no sand or padding.

The feet began to fall off when it started rolling and we removed the other lifted feet when we realized it was going to burst again.

And, yes, the rambunctious children do jump quite a bit...that would make sense... Maybe it's time for a new rule...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The concrete slab is level. (My camera angle not so much...note the bubble...)

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

I agree! That's why we have allowed waves, jumping, whirlpools... :( If that is what is causing this we will need to consider something more permanent.

The pool you linked to is the pool we have...for some reason I thought ProSeries was a Intex brand...my mistake!

- - - Updated - - -

But, but, but................so many rules are not fun :( A pool is meant to be fun. Fun=jumping, making waves, making whirlpools, etc.

Maybe get this kind of pool instead?

24 ft. ProSeriesâ„¢ Frame Pool Set with Mosaic Print - Sam's Club

Something that has harder sides?

Just wanting the kids to have fun.

Kim

I agree! That's why we have allowed waves, jumping, whirlpools... :( If that is what is causing this we will need to consider something more permanent.

The pool you linked to is the pool we have...for some reason I thought ProSeries was a Intex brand...my mistake!

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 280
An unlevel surface combined with climbing over and jumping off the sides could cause the pool to roll. One of the math experts on here could tell you a formula to calculate how far off level the slab is from one edge to the other, but to get a rough idea find some thin cardboard and cut it into 2" squares and put them under the low end of the level until the bubble is centered between the lines. If you have to put 1/4" worth of shims under there to make it level then over the length of the slab it could be several inches off.

Possible solutions: Get a hard walled AGP, keep using Intex style pools but construct a deck they can jump off of and enforce a firm "no climbing over the sides" rule. Get extra ladders if they are too impatient to wait, or save your pennies and get an inground.

If you pour water on the slab, does it pool up and stay in one spot, or does it run off the edge? If it runs off, and most slabs are intentionally poured to do this, then it is not level, and that's your problem.

If this post is actually real, then the level argument is silly. The op would of known if the pool wasn't level when it was full of water. The pool would of had to of been way out of level. I would say that regardless of how or why it happened , after three pools collapsing, it is time to get a real above ground pool.
Also, I can't imagine that climbing in an out of a pool could cause a bubble like that. The pool must of been about 2-3 feet out of level. The op is a troll.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.