Side discussion from Bout done with this saltwater thing

zzrguy

May 15, 2015
Setauket , NY
This discussion is split from Bout done with this saltwater thing Zea3

I would disagree with zzrguy ... getting the salt right, and the SWG function will NOT kill off the green, but certainly is needed to prevent the green.

To clear up algae, you have to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which is typically best done with the SWG turned off.
I have never had any green grow in my pool if the salt was right or a little high. Adding chemical after chemical in to your pool is a waste of time and money. So having right one of the most important chemical in a salt water pool is step one if it is wrong {too low}it can skew all of your other reading. I'm a hard believe in Start from 1 and go forward and if you fail start at 1 again.
I would go to a pool store and get a legit test done before adding anything else what type of filter do you have and have you cleaned it.

Re: Bout done with this saltwater thing

I have never had any green grow in my pool if the salt was right or a little high. Adding chemical after chemical in to your pool is a waste of time and money. So having right one of the most important chemical in a salt water pool is step one if it is wrong {too low}it can skew all of your other reading. I'm a hard believe in Start from 1 and go forward and if you fail start at 1 again.
I would go to a pool store and get a legit test done before adding anything else what type of filter do you have and have you cleaned it.
You are failing to realize that the salt level has absolutely ZERO to do with keeping a clear pool. It is the chlorine that keeps a clear pool that is "generated" by the SWG from the salt in the water. And if that chlorine (FC) level is not adequate for the stabilizer (CYA) level in the water then you will get algae ... regardless of the amount of salt you have.

Sounds like you have been getting lucky. TFP does not rely on luck. The TFPC method is all about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.

Trusting pool store testing is another idea that TFP will never recommend. Proven too many times to be inaccurate and not repeatable.

We are a teaching forum and only teach what we know is true based on the science. You are welcome to follow as much or as little of what we teach, but we will not allow inaccurate suggestions to go unchallenged.

You are failing to realize that the salt level has absolutely ZERO to do with keeping a clear pool. It is the chlorine that keeps a clear pool that is "generated" by the SWG from the salt in the water. And if that chlorine (FC) level is not adequate for the stabilizer (CYA) level in the water then you will get algae ... regardless of the amount of salt you have.

Sounds like you have been getting lucky. TFP does not rely on luck. The TFPC method is all about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.

Trusting pool store testing is another idea that TFP will never recommend. Proven too many times to be inaccurate and not repeatable.

We are a teaching forum and only teach what we know is true based on the science. You are welcome to follow as much or as little of what we teach, but we will not allow inaccurate suggestions to go unchallenged.

Your failing to realize if you do not have enough salt you will not generate the proper amount of chlorine to keep you FC where it needs to be. It is a simple fact no salt = no chlorine = green. I cant see why you are so against have a proper baseline to work from. He need to Have a proper test done to find his baseline.
The reply I left op was to see if he had enough salt to see if he was able to generate enough chlorine. Do you know if the numbers he gave for the size pool he has is correct. Cause Knowing that he had the salt in range and other readings in ranges he could then surmise a strategy to solve his issue or at least know it not that.

Look at your previous posts below and explain to me where you said it was chlorine that kills algae and keeps a pool clear

I had this issue a couple of years ago and they never check the salt I need to add 6 40lb bag and Bazinga clear as glass.

... like I said till I got the salt Right nothing would work to kill the green off completely.

I have never had any green grow in my pool if the salt was right or a little high. ... So having right one of the most important chemical in a salt water pool is step one if it is wrong {too low}it can skew all of your other reading. ...

According to those posts, you indicate that if you have the right amount of salt in the pool, then that is all that is needed to kill the algae and clear the pool. You may understand that it is chlorine that is doing the job, but not once did you say that ... so how can this advice help a new member trying to learn?

I still stand by the fact that a SWG will not be able to eradicate algae once it is started and that is when the SLAM process is needed.

In the blue corner, wearing green with gold stars, weighing in at (some number) lbs, posting out of Tuscon, AZ, the current heavyweight champion of TFP, Jjjjjjblizzzzzle......And the in the red corner, wearing black with brown stripes, weighing in at (some number) lbs, posting out of Setauket, NY, the challenger, Zzzzzzrrrrrgguyyyyyy........

Sorry, just a little attempt at humor. Will stick to my day job!

Look at your previous posts below and explain to me where you said it was chlorine that kills algae and keeps a pool clear

According to those posts, you indicate that if you have the right amount of salt in the pool, then that is all that is needed to kill the algae and clear the pool. You may understand that it is chlorine that is doing the job, but not once did you say that ... so how can this advice help a new member trying to learn?

I still stand by the fact that a SWG will not be able to eradicate algae once it is started and that is when the SLAM process is needed.

MY bad I assumed he would under stand that salt is what the SWG used to make the chlorine. But I'll standby you can slam it all you want and if you do not have the right salt levels you will have the green return.

If you end a slam, and are depending on an swg to make chlorine without enough salt in the water, then absolutely you will have algae again. No-one is disputing that. After a slam you either continue to add daily doses of chlorine, use a pump to make the doses for you, or use a swg. Lots of people are misled by the hype in the pool industry of a salt pool not having any chemicals, and being so natural and safe, when actually it is identical to a chlorine pool, because it is a chlorine pool. Not everyone understands that, so we have to be careful to paint a full picture so people aren't misled by something we think they know or should understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liken a SWG to aspirin and algae to a heart attack.

Aspirin wont fix a heart attack but taken in small doses over a long time, can prevent a second attack.

SWG wont fix an algae problem but used daily over a long time can prevent a second algae problem.

I think everyone here is saying (almost) the same thing, just coming at it from different angles. The key points from my short year of TFPC experience:

1) The first priority to prevent algae is to maintain the proper FC level for your CYA at all times (and at the proper higher levels during a SLAM). This must be determined by testing at some interval that ensures you never go below the minimum level. You don't wait for algae to grow as an indicator; proper FC testing lets you head off the issue before algae grows.

2) One way to maintain FC is with a SWCG (others include pouring liquid chlorine in daily or so). But you never blindly assume the SWCG is maintaining that level -- you must still test FC regularly (could be less often than daily once you have a history that shows it is keeping up).

3) Improper salt levels will prevent your SWCG from generating its capability in chlorine. So if your FC testing shows that the FC level is lower than you expect, the first thing to check is the salt level (you can proactively check it more often, of course)

4) Too low of a CYA level will make even a properly-generating SWCG unable to generate chlorine faster than it's used. This would be the second thing to verify (but of course is a regular test to know what the FC level should be in the first place).

5) In all cases, if the FC isn't high enough with the SWCG for whatever reason, you must supplement (preferably with liquid chlorine) until you get the SWCG to take over as expected.

Have I summarized everyone's points? I don't mean to speak for anyone, just collecting what I think I hear in my head.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think everyone here is saying (almost) the same thing, just coming at it from different angles. The key points from my short year of TFPC experience:

1) The first priority to prevent algae is to maintain the proper FC level for your CYA at all times (and at the proper higher levels during a SLAM). This must be determined by testing at some interval that ensures you never go below the minimum level. You don't wait for algae to grow as an indicator; proper FC testing lets you head off the issue before algae grows.

2) One way to maintain FC is with a SWCG (others include pouring liquid chlorine in daily or so). But you never blindly assume the SWCG is maintaining that level -- you must still test FC regularly (could be less often than daily once you have a history that shows it is keeping up).

3) Improper salt levels will prevent your SWCG from generating its capability in chlorine. So if your FC testing shows that the FC level is lower than you expect, the first thing to check is the salt level (you can proactively check it more often, of course)

4) Too low of a CYA level will make even a properly-generating SWCG unable to generate chlorine faster than it's used. This would be the second thing to verify (but of course is a regular test to know what the FC level should be in the first place).

5) In all cases, if the FC isn't high enough with the SWCG for whatever reason, you must supplement (preferably with liquid chlorine) until you get the SWCG to take over as expected.

Have I summarized everyone's points? I don't mean to speak for anyone, just collecting what I think I hear in my head.

Well, I haven't post a point, but if I had you would have summarized mine to a tee. :goodpost:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.