Hello From Massachusetts!

I am brand new to this site today and have had an IG pool for 27 years. And for 27 years our pool has only been clear One year after opening for the summer.
We have been through everything and used almost everything on the market and still it is never clean and clear upon the new season. My husband believes that
it is partly due to our cover which he jokes and calls the "Coffee Filter" cover. It is a great cover for ease to put on but it filters the water and living in New England,
We accumulate a lot of leaves which seem to be broken down from the rain an filter through the cover and end up on the bottom of the pool. I was so happy to
find this site today and immediately signed up. I hope with everything we have done we will be able to help others out here as well.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Much of opening to a clear pool depends on closing late (and properly) and opening early when the water is still cold. But, having a cover that lets in debris will certainly add a little more of a challenge.

Hi bobbyzgirl, im also new to the site. Like you I have a lot of leaves and a mesh cover, and I'm hoping next year, with the help if this site, I won't open to a swamp and won't spend hundreds of dollars clearing the swamp. Should be a fun journey, looking forward to learning lots. WELCOME!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP! I'm sure everyone here can help you keep things on-track. Make sure to stop by often and look around. Visit the many links you see in our signatures as they will serve you well. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Have a great day!

Welcome to TFP!

Although a filter is certainly important, I would not underestimate the leading role that chlorine, in the proper amount, plays in water clarity. If you are surrounded by trees, you do have the added challenge of keeping leaves and debris out which can be a pain. I have only one tree on my property and it's in the front yard. Yet, I'm constantly amazed at how many leaves make it into the pool. We are currently having an uncharacteristically windy spell here in July and I've been fishing out more than my share of leaves in what is usually a tranquil, but hot, time of year. I can only imagine the battle one faces if their pool is surrounded by trees.

You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Hi bobbyzgirl, welcome to the site.

Like you I have a mesh cover and opened to a swamp for years. Last year converted to TFP methods and followed their closing recommendations. Over the winter one of the ice burgs split some seams in the cover adding to the winter debris.

This year I opened to clear water despite the debris on the bottom. The first day ran the Aquabot for cleaning debris from the bottom and frequently cleaning it's filter. Then got the lines drained, pump running and vacuumed. Adjusted the pH and brought the chlorine up to shock level using bleach and called it a day. The second day started the SLAM and that night it passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT).

Two days of work to open and clean, sparkly clear water all season since - thanks to using TFP methods.

The first week it was open I did have to adjust some chemical levels due to the winter dilution but no issues with water clarity.

I hope you convert so you can see how beautiful your pool looks with sparkly clean water!