Rear mount vs. bottom mount pressure gauge?

Jul 26, 2013
Tucson, AZ
The pressure gauge on my filter is the rear mount type. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace it with the bottom mount type so it could be viewed my looking straight down at it instead of bending over to view it from the side?
Does that make sense? :confused:
Would it work?
I can't see why it wouldn't, but I don't know if the way the gauge is oriented affects the mechanism of how it works? I have no real understanding of the mechanics of how the thing works...
(Beyond the basics, that is: internal pressure in the tank rises when the flow is impeded by filtered gunk and then backwashing restores the unimpeded flow, thus reducing the pressure, and round and round it goes...�� )
But is the gauge designed to work only if the dial is vertical? :scratch:
Would it make a difference if it is the glycerin-filled type of dial or not?

Anyone who wants to educate me-- please, bring it on. :D I love to learn.

Also, on a related note:
When I disconnect it to replace it, I just have to turn off the pump, and close the intake and return valves on either side of the pump/filter, right? Then I won't have water running out the hole for more than a couple seconds?
I plan to take the gauge with me to the store, so I get the right size... or the parts to make it work...

Last edited:
It doesn't matter which way they are oriented for all practical purposes. There is a little curved tube in there that gets straightened when pressure is applied. There is a little gear and arm attached that makes the dial on the gauge move as the tube is straightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 what n240sxguy said......it makes no difference.

If you are considering one from tftestkits.net, keep in mind they are usually larger than normal gauges. They are 2.5 inches in diameter so make sure it would fit.

Wow!!! That was FAST! Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation, also.
When I get the new one, I think I'm gonna take the old one apart... I'm one of those people who likes to see the "guts" of stuff. It doesn't *usually* get me into trouble...:slidehalo:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.