CYA vs FC sunlight loss relationship

Jun 15, 2015
AZ
Split from original Thread here: CYA vs FC sunlight loss relationship (Mod-Patrick B)

I'm having the same results. I'm in AZ and the pool is in direct sunlight from 8am - 5pm, pool water is 93. :)

Last night I brought my FC up from 3ppm to 9ppm. per the CYA chart.

Tests from last night:
FC 9
CC .5
PH 8.0
TA 90
CH 170
CYA 70

This morning all the #'s are the same but FC is down to 8ppm. Pool runs from 7p - 7a.

I just tested again at 2:30p to see how much I lost and I am down to 4ppm.

Pool is very clear, no dust on the walls or bottom. Is it typical to add 128oz of 10% liquid chlorine every night. Seems off to me, maybe I need to shock the pool? but with the loss of only 1ppm over night I figured I was ok.

Thanks
Chuck

Welcome to TFP, Chuck! :wave:

Your loss overnight if no sun was on the pool is high for normal FC levels. The 1 ppm rule is usually done at SLAM levels. At normal levels the overnight loss is usually substantially less. It would be higher if one had a pool cover since chlorine slowly oxidizes covers.

Your water is hotter and that will have chlorine react faster so have a higher loss, but there must be something in the water to react with and also the loss during the day is unusually high. Are you sure about the 70 ppm CYA?

When you checked the loss overnight, was the filter running? If not, try running it and check the loss again. If it's higher, then you may have something in your filter or elsewhere in your circulation path causing chlorine loss. Check your skimmer and pump basket. I assume you don't have an ozonator or UV system as those will consume chlorine.

Your loss overnight if no sun was on the pool is high for normal FC levels. The 1 ppm rule is usually done at SLAM levels. At normal levels the overnight loss is usually substantially less.

Well, I just learned something new. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.