DE Resting on Bottom Surface or Algae?

Jun 11, 2015
North Hollywood, CA
I did a complete cleaning of my Hayward DE filter just last week and had an issue with the seal on the relief valve which led to some DE slurry getting back into the pool. I came back from work 5 days later, tested the water (FC 0.5, CC 0, pH 7.4, TA 110, cYA 60, CH 230) and came across this...

dsMnJGC.jpg

The pool cover had blown off the pool and was only covering the right half of the photo as you can see. This stuff is resting on the surface of the pool and has a green/brown color to it while grey where it wasn't exposed to the sunlight. Could someone possibly confirm this is likely just DE that I can vacuum up and not algae? I'm a bit paranoid and wondering if I need to SLAM the pool now.

The dark stuff isn't DE, but looks like Algae, and your FC is low enough for it to grow for sure. Your Cya is a bit high,Mobutu very high with 0.5 FC. Is any of this dark stuff elsewhere in the pool?

It's dark just in the area that got sunlight. Everywhere else it looks like grey DE sand dunes. It kicks up when when disturbed too. Doesn't algae tend to grab on to the surface and need brushing?

CyA was brought up (for the sunlight) right after the filter cleaning per a recommendation from the Testing and Balancing Your Water sub. I brought FC up to 7 right before I left for the 6 days I was on the road.

FC of 7 is the target that should be maintained daily. FC should always be at or above target. Anytime FC drops below minimum algae will start to grow and the pool is unsanitary. Next time you will be away from the pool for a while raise FC to shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.