Taylor 2005 w/o FAS/DPD

johnvk

Jul 1, 2015
New Jersey, USA
So i'm sure this has been asked like 1000 times and regulars get sick of it. In my first post chem geek told me i have the taylor 2005 kit from leslie's. He said it has everything i need (ie what TF-100 TFTestkits.net has) EXCEPT the FAS/DPD chlorine which i can buy separately here TFTestkits.net

The FAS/DPD is the drop by drop test, so you count the drops, right?

However, i think if have this right--UNLESS i need to measure CL over 5ppm (and i can probably guess up to, let's say, 8pp? "that's redder than 5" :p But, when does mine bleach out?) i dont need FAS/DPD. At least not yet.

And my pool's nice and clear with 4.0 CL and i'm raising my CYA right now, using thrichlor, after my fall drain of water and winter weather added zero-CYA water. It's at 30-40, not sure cuz it's been cloudy lately (Test CYA in the sun or shade?)

My spring raise of CH is also up to 250 now (plaster pool), so getting close there. Actually i'm out of Ca Hardness reagents which is why i'm looking into test kids.

So i think i just need to buy CH reagents?

EDIT: and WOW,
r0010 0.5 oz is only $2.55 TFTestkits.net
r0012 1.0 oz is only $2.85 TFTestkits.net
Those are REALLY good.
I was close to buying them from InTheSwim's Amazon store for $4.49 and $3.99 (for 0.5 oz only)
It saves me money to support TFP!
(altho the 1.0oz r0012 will probably not fit in my box. That's ok, I can transfer...)

Last edited:
IMO, trying to guess the colors with any kind of accuracy is pointless. The FAS-DPD leaves you with no guess work.

You must ensure you never let the FC drop below the minimum listed for your CYA level in the FC/CYA Chart.
If you can do that with the DPD, more power to you.
But, if it drops low and problems develop, then you will definitely need the FAS-DPD test.

Sure you can buy the CH reagents separately. tftestkits.net sells them all.

Sold!
And only $2.79 shipping. I dont expect i'll ever by reagents anywhere else ;)
(I did have to allow cookies to corecommerce.com; i might not be the only one with a cookie blocker (mine: Cookie Monster for Firefox))

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.