Spa jet help needed please

Jul 6, 2015
texas
Hi all. We just bought a house with a combined in ground pool and spa. The info on the setup is as follows: Pool is 35' x 16' gunite built in approx. 1982, 3/4 HP Hayward pump with Pentair DE filter and chlorine injector. The spa is approx. 6' x 3' kidney shaped with over flow into the pool. There was originally a propane pool/spa heater but that was removed sometime in the past and replaced with a much smaller Hayward electric spa heater.
My issue is with the jets in the spa. One of them works fine but the others are very much reduced in flow. I believe that there might be some objects causing the issues. i.e pebbles in the lines.
I am at a lose how to disassemble them to begin to remove the objects. I can't see any markings on them and I am afraid to do much for fear of causing more damage then already exists.
Hopefully someone can look at the pics I have included and point me in the correct direction. Even if they can just give me a brand or mfg I can do the work from there.
The pics are of the top of one of the jets where it comes through the pool deck, the overall pic is of the tops of the four jets for the whole spa, and then the final pic is of the water exit inside the spa.
If you need more info or have questions please ask.

The holes in the deck are the air intakes for the venturis which probably have nothing to do with your issue. If you do have blockage in the lines, it is likely to be in the water lines and not the air lines. But to clear them, you need to remove the jet nozzle which is deep within the spa wall. You can usually remove them will a long socket wrench. Once removed, you can then turn on the spa jet pump and flush out the lines.

I am guessing here but the spa probably has venturi tees that look something like this.

VenturiTee.jpg

The air line goes to your deck and the water line back to your pump. The mixed air water is what is ejected out of the spa wall.

Thank you so much!! Thats exactly what i needed to know. I was able to get the venturis out and clean out behind them.
So now my next question is where do i get replacements. I have searched the web but having no luck. I will post pictures later when at my computer.

There should be a number stamped on the side of the nozzle. It sounds like they many have reduced the size of the nozzle to increase the jet pressure.

What is the jet pump make/model and how many jets are in the spa?

Also, this helps us when answering questions: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

And here is the second question. This is a picture of the other nozzle in the spa. It was blocked with a rock and when I took it out I found this screw behind it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the purpose of this nozzle? Does the screw belong with it? Was there some sort of adjustment in it originally?

The top picture look like waterway nozzles with inserts. If I had to guess, they are 217-3330 nozzles with 421-3350 inserts. But without a part number, I can't be 100% sure.

Waterway Gunite Venturi Tee 7/16" Nozzle - 217-3330

But you could go with the 1/4" nozzle 217-3350 instead.

Also, you didn't answer my earlier question:

What is the jet pump make/model and how many jets are in the spa?

The bottom picture I have no idea but could the screw go inside the center of the nozzle?

Thanks for the tip. I think I will order a few to see if they will work.
My apologies about the question. We don't have a jet pump for the spa. It all works off of the main pool pump. it just depends on how I adjust the valves for the water flow direction.
There are 5 jets in the spa (the little ones in the picture and then the other odd ball one)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, then what is the make/model of your main pump? The reason I ask is it can matter on which jets you should get.

The motor nameplate is less important. It is the wet end (i.e. actual pump) model that I am interested in.

3/4 HP Hayward pump with Pentair DE filter and chlorine injector.
I believe that is a Sta-Rite pump in the picture. Is that the 3/4 HP pump or were you referencing another pump?

With a 3/4 HP pump, they probably needed to reduce the size of the jet orifice to get the velocity you need for strong jets. You have a couple of choices. Stick with that pump and get the 1/4" jets OR up-size the pump and use the 7/16" jets.

Ok that is a 1.5 HP up rated challenger pump. While it is a higher head pump, it is probably too small to support 5 7/16" jets which is probably why they used the inserts. So the options I gave you before still hold:

You have a couple of choices. Stick with that pump and get the 1/4" jets OR up-size the pump and use the 7/16" jets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.