Helpful Dad to New Owner

Jul 7, 2015
bethel park, pa
Greetings to all. Wow...what a great site here. My Son has just purchased a home with a 16 x 40 inground pool that has been dormant since at least 9/2014. Now in the process of figuring out how/ where /why of plumbing, heaters, cleaning., maintenance.

The heater was left exposed to the harsh winter, uncovered. Whoever installed it just plunked it down on Mother Earth...it has sunk 2'" into the ground. Yesterdays chore was to unhook, set a pad, and re-hook. The same goes for the pump/filter. Just set down on the ground. Today is setting a pad, and hooking all up.

For the last two days, we temporarily hooked up a smaller Hayward cartridge filter, loaned to us by a helpful neighbor, to start to filter. Water is cloudy but blue. Need to purchase a test kit and get started. This is a slow process to figure out plumbing, cleaning and maintenance. I am sure I will be asking a ton of questions soon.

I hope I will be welcome here... ready to retire, become a pool boy, and a professional Grampa. My Son has a keen interest in this pool. My Grandson has a learning disability, and loves to swim, and we hope this will contribute to his well being. Thanks, Dave. P.S. in my signiture, I incorrectly identified the filter as a Haywood. It is Hayward. Ooops

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Order a TF100 test kit. That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use. Resist the urge to run down to the local pool store with a water sample. Their free testing is their way of selling you lots of stuff you really don't need.

Ask lots of questions here. None are silly and lots of folks are here to help.

Welcome to TFP!

You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math