Bleach and lining

Beanie

Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
I have been using the BBB method for about 8 months and love it! It is so easy and much cheaper then chemicals for me! Anyway, I was on another forum (disney related) and someone asked about above ground pools, so I answered and told them I was using the BBB Method and so on. Another poster replied and said I shouldn't be using Bleach in my pool because it will ruin the liner. I never replied back, just figured he was not educated on the BBB Method! He was saying he buys all these different chemicals to use in his pool and buys special "Packs" for opening and closing the pool each year. Anyway, just thought it was amusing and thought of everyone on here when I read it! My local pool supply store guy saw my Dad in Walmart the other day and asked him why we haven't been back yet!! LOL

That reminds me of a run-in that my wife had last summer at the local grocery store. She had a cart full of bleach and the gentlemen behind her asked what all the bleach was for. My wife replied that it was for our pool. The individual then went on and on how he has worked in a pool store for over fifteen years and insisted that she couldn't use the bleach for our pool because it would just burn right off. :rant: I should note that my wife is a biochemist and knows more chemistry that I ever will, but being fairly new to BBB she wasn't prepared for having to defend the chemistry to a complete stranger in the supermarket check out line so she just replied that we having been doing it for years and it works very well, thank you. The pool store employee then started getting angry and wouldn't let in go. My wife thought he was going to steal her cart and run the other way with it or cold-cock her or something. Anyway she continued with a heavy dose of "I appreciate the information, but am not in the mood to discuss this with you" attitude. He went on, but she made it out of the store without incident.

After that my wife decided she'd better bone up on her BBB chemistry so I pointed towards Chemgeek's mind boggling equations and stochiometry. I can't wait until she runs into him again. :mrgreen:

Riles

Beanie said:
Another poster replied and said I shouldn't be using Bleach in my pool because it will ruin the liner.
There's a lot of misinformation out there, but it's not all incorrect. This is an example where it's a half-truth since one can certainly harm a liner if one adds chemicals in an inappropriate manner. One should add bleach slowly over a return flow with the pump running (preferably in the deep end, if there is one) and for extra safety, especially when there is no floor drain, one can lightly brush the side and bottom where one adds the chlorine to ensure thorough mixing.

If one had Trichlor pucks in a floating feeder and that feeder parked itself in one area of a vinyl pool, the high chlorine and especially the acidity (low pH) from the Trichlor would wreck havoc to the liner. The bottom line is that one needs to be a little careful, regardless of which source of chlorine they use.

Also, one should have CYA in the water, even if it's not exposed to sunlight. Those that just start out using bleach and not have any CYA in the water will effectively be over-chlorinating their pools and potentially wearing their liners faster. Again, the key is doing what's appropriate.

Richard

The pool store where I bought my pool sells liquid chlorine, and when I bought a few jugs, they told me that tri-chlor was better to use out here in Arizona because of the bright sun light, and tri-chlor has stabilizer built right in. When I told them that the ppm of stabilizer will get too high using tri-chlor alone, they didn't believe me. :roll:

Beanie said:
I have been using the BBB method for about 8 months and love it! It is so easy and much cheaper then chemicals for me! Anyway, I was on another forum (disney related) and someone asked about above ground pools, so I answered and told them I was using the BBB Method and so on. Another poster replied and said I shouldn't be using Bleach in my pool because it will ruin the liner. I never replied back, just figured he was not educated on the BBB Method! He was saying he buys all these different chemicals to use in his pool and buys special "Packs" for opening and closing the pool each year. Anyway, just thought it was amusing and thought of everyone on here when I read it! My local pool supply store guy saw my Dad in Walmart the other day and asked him why we haven't been back yet!! LOL

Tell this guy that the only thing that damaged the bottom of my pool liner was a store bought puck that fell out of my floater while I was on vacation...My sister in law grabbed it by the top of the lid and it plopped off in her hand...when it tipped a small 1/2 inch piece of the chlorine puck slipped out of the floater and without her knowing landed on the bottom of the pool...I bleached a spot about two feet by 8 inches...I poured liquid bleach or liquid chlorine in pool all summer and never had a problem...Don't let anyone tell you that this isn't the best and cheapest way to take care of you pool.

I think TFP needs a TV commercial so all these misinformed people can learn the proper way to care for a pool. :wink: Or maybe there should be TFP seminars for pool store employees and pool owners. We need to get the word out!!!

P.S. I notice that it is advised not to pour bleach into water that's not moving. We've been pouring 12% into our pool for 7 out of the eight years and the bottom isn't faded. When I do it I just walk around the perimeter of the pool pouring it in. I also pour like 2/3 gal. into the pool at a time(and the pool is only like 5000ish gallons :shock: ) but the level isn't astronomically high after so w/e.

Adam

launboy said:
P.S. I notice that it is advised not to pour bleach into water that's not moving. We've been pouring 12% into our pool for 7 out of the eight years and the bottom isn't faded. When I do it I just walk around the perimeter of the pool pouring it in. I also pour like 2/3 gal. into the pool at a time(and the pool is only like 5000ish gallons :shock: ) but the level isn't astronomically high after so w/e.
We recommend adding concentrated chemicals to moving water to be extra safe. If the water isn't moving (i.e. the pump isn't running), then pouring the chemical around the perimeter at least gets it more diluted than dumping it in one place. Bleach and chlorinating liquid are denser than water so if you dump them quickly in one place then a pool of it can settle to the bottom. However, once it mixes, it stays mixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Riles_J said:
That reminds me of a run-in that my wife had last summer at the local grocery store. She had a cart full of bleach and the gentlemen behind her asked what all the bleach was for. My wife replied that it was for our pool. The individual then went on and on how he has worked in a pool store for over fifteen years and insisted that she couldn't use the bleach for our pool because it would just burn right off. :rant: I should note that my wife is a biochemist and knows more chemistry that I ever will, but being fairly new to BBB she wasn't prepared for having to defend the chemistry to a complete stranger in the supermarket check out line so she just replied that we having been doing it for years and it works very well, thank you. The pool store employee then started getting angry and wouldn't let in go. My wife thought he was going to steal her cart and run the other way with it or cold-**** her or something. Anyway she continued with a heavy dose of "I appreciate the information, but am not in the mood to discuss this with you" attitude. He went on, but she made it out of the store without incident.

After that my wife decided she'd better bone up on her BBB chemistry so I pointed towards Chemgeek's mind boggling equations and stochiometry. I can't wait until she runs into him again. :mrgreen:

Riles

This happened to me in the Wal-Mart checkout this week. As luck would have it, the guy behind me used to service "75 pools in Florida" blah, blah, blah... When the checkout girl asked me if I was doing some heavy cleaning and I replied "No, getting the pool ready." He chimed in. I retained enough of what I've learned here to counter most of his BS. Eventually I just said, "Well it works great for me and all the folks at troublefreepool.com and it saves me money to boot. Haveaniceday".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.