What is this?

jimmerz

Jun 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I notice the water going into my pump, while off looks murky. When I turn the pump on, all that murky water blows into my pool for about 5 seconds, then all is clear. Almost like some DE is getting through? My water is clear and none of my numbers look off, just curious if anyone had and ideas.

24' AGP DE filter.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Is your filter draining backward toward the pump when the pump is off? Is there air in the filter when you turn it on that you can purge out the top?

That is my guess ... that you have a leak in the filter somewhere that is allowing it to drain.

- - - Updated - - -

But wait, if your pump and filter are below the water level, then the filter can not drain like that. :scratch:

I have a tad bit of a blow out in mine when I power my pump on. It's always done that with 2 different pump/filters (DE) I've owned. If it's dirty water, clean your filter.

I had that with a bad seal on the skimmer lid (the skimmer on the pump, not on the pool). Maybe because the return in the pool is lower than the skimmer in the pool, the bad seal would allow water to flow backwards from the return, through the DE, and into the skimmer. I could stand there are watch and over the course of about an hour the skimmer would slowly fill will DE haze from the filter side. It was a VERY slow leak, but enough of one to cause the reverse flow to happen.

Some pool lube on the O-ring fixed it. (I have since bought a new filter anyway - the old housing had spider cracking all over it, and the top seal was going, which is not worth replacing)

-dave

Pool lube on the O ring where? The plastic skimmer lid? Sorry, I'm still sort of new to all the equipment. I think I have a handle on the pool school and pool math and my water is generally very sparkly...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.