Bleach vs 3" Tablets

Without a doubt, bleach is the preferred method of chlorinating your pool! Pucks add CYA to your pool and the only way to lower your CYA is to dilute (water replacement). Pucks can be useful, but they are a terrible source for primary chlorination.

I would just append this to the end of jaduck's post:

... unless you are in a area with a lot of rain, and a short season where you at least partially drain the pool for winter.

Welcome to TFP!

It's worth noting that Cya builds up as water evaporates, as with other dissolved solids. Replacing water because of evaporation does not lower Stabilizer (Cya) levels no matter the amount of evaporation you have. Generally it builds up faster in hot dry climates with little rain.

I haven't used a puck in three years, only bleach, primarily from Aldi's. I get comments all the time about how good the water looks. Thinking about it I don't think our current pool has ever had pucks in it since we set it up.

Thanks everyone! I am checking into bleach from Aldi as well. My CYA is between 30-40 so not high (I just drained 3' and refilled). I'll continue with the bleach as my primary chlorine source and will just use the pucks to increase CYA if it gets low. I have about 30# worth of pucks in the garage...

I would just append this to the end of jaduck's post:

... unless you are in a area with a lot of rain, and a short season where you at least partially drain the pool for winter.

This...I have about a 4 months swim season, then we pump it halfway down and cover for the winter. I shock with bleach upon opening, then use pucks to raise the CYA each year and then bleach to maintain after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.