First Time Managing A Pool

IABO

Jul 6, 2015
Boston/MA
Hey guys, posted this on reddit and everyone there recommended me this website.
So my family moved to a new house last year which had a IG pool. We were really new to managing/operating a pool, so we decided to hire an outside pool company to maintain it throughout the summer. From what i observed, the company didn't provide a good service and spent only a short amount of time cleaning my pool. They left a lot of algae and provided an inadequate service at a high cost. I decided that this year, i would open it up myself and hope to learn to maintain it.

I will be posting pictures sometime tomorrow when i go out and take pictures of all the equipment and pool.
From what i know so far, it is a vinyl ig pool.

What was left behind by previous owner:
Dolphin 2001
Nets/vacuum
Skimmer baskets
Powder for skimmer

Picture of pool:
Pool

I'm really new to all this equipment and not sure how to manage filters/pool unit. I don't even know how to turn on the filtration system :(.
If anyone can inform me on what to purchase name/brand, i'll look into purchasing everything tomorrow.

Thanks so much to everyone that is willing to assist a newbie and for taking time out of your schedule!

Best,

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing you will need to manage your pool is one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

As for the equipment, I'll wait for some pics of your current setup.

I am curious about one thing...what is "Powder for skimmer"?

Hi, and welcome to TFP!

post up pics of all your equipment and the plumbing of it, and we can help you figure it all out easy enough.

If you're going to take care of your own pool, then you are going to need your own proper test kit.
The TF100 is what most of us use and we swear by it. Only available online at TFTestkits.net
the quicker you get it on order, the quicker we can help you get your pool crystal clear.

In the meantime, here are some links that you need to get famiiar with, so you know a bit about what water parameters are imporatant and how they interact with each other.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

this should get you started. Dont hesitate to ask any questions that you might have.

Enjoy!

LOL, you beat me to it Bo! I was scratching my head over that one too. :)

Welcome IABO...we can all certainly help, but you're gonna have to do a lil homework too. Please get those pictures to us so we can see what the pool and equipment looks like. Take a pic of any chemicals left with the pool too, please. Helps us know whats been used before but most likely we won't be suggesting you use much of it again.

Our method is the most fiscally conservative yet more successful at keeping pools pristine and healthy. Unlike Pool Stores that will offer you free testing (free because people leave there with $$'s in often dubious products). You'll use a professional level kit to test your water instead of that summer hire pimply faced High Schooler who knows bumpkis who may be a bit loose and sloppy with the testing (he's in a hurry to get off...new girl waiting for him y'know?)

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same boat last year. Bought a house with a pool and started out with the pool store with not much luck and a lighter wallet. First thing you will need is a good test kit that the forum recommends. Just search the site and you will find it. After you get your test kit post up your numbers and you will get any help you need. This forum has helped me take control of my pool. Next, read all you can. I'm still reading and trying to understand all I can. More experienced members will chime in and point you in the right direction. Good luck!
edit! I thought I was going to be the first to reply. I must type slow! Several already beat me to the punch!

Welcome to TFP! You have already made the best move for maintaining your pool by posting on the best Pool forum on the net! Your first order of business should be obtaining an accurate means of testing your pools water quality. So, head off to tftestkits.net and order the TF-100. I would also recommend that you purchase a Speedstir. Trust me, it will make your life easier! Please read and then reread Pool School. Also, please include a signature detailing you pool. You can do this by clicking on profile.

While waiting on the test kit it would be great if you could post a picture of your pool and equipment pad. Please DO NOT buy any chemicals from the pool store...you will most likely wa ste money. DO NOT take advice from the pool store...sometimes it is wrong and can be dangerous. DO NOT get your water tested at the pool store as they are seldom very accurate.

Do heed the advice given here by the experts, they know exactly what they are doing and will not steer you wrong. Once you get your test kit please post a full set on results and we will get you into that sparkling clean pool in no time!

Good grief, it appears that you have been SLAM'D by the welcoming committee!

I just want to chime in and say you will be so glad you let all the nice people here help you out. I've been a pool owner for 9 years (2 different pools). Thanks to TFP. for the first time I feel in control of my pool AND it looks better than it ever has before. Great resource here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow thanks for the great responses. I have just ordered the test strips (speedstir version), attached below is all the photos i took.

Pool

I'm not exactly sure the size of the pool, but there is a shallow side which measures approx 3ft and the deep end measures approx 7.5ft if i recall correctly. If there is any other information or steps i would need to take, please inform me and i will get on it ASAP.

Thanks again!

People with a lot more experience than I have will chime in but I'll toss my .02 into the mix also. From the looks of the pictures and how green the pool is the first you are going to need is a lot of patience. Next thing to get is a lot of bleach/chlorine, there is a post here to help you find the cheapest chlorine out there, you are going to need a lot of it, and patience. I would get a good test kit, lots of bleach/chlorine, get the pump running and just start adding bleach every hour possible for a couple/few days. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at your pictures I see the following:

1. DE filter with a multi port valve
2. Pool cleaning robot
3. Heat pump
4. Pool pump - maybe a Hayward
5. Main floor drain
6. Two skimmers
7. The little round things in the skimmer baskets are placed on your returns in the pool.

As others have mentioned you are going to need a bunch of regular old bleach (Walmart Great Value). Do not get the smells good, easy pour, or outdoor stuff. You will also need to get some Muratic acid and baking soda. Items you may or may not need include stabilizer, Mule Team 20 Borax, calcium chloride (deicer) and DE powder.

You can start raking out debris with your leaf net. The more junk you get out the better off you will be when you start your SLAM (see the link in my signature).

I see that you got the test strips with the Speedstir. Did you get the TF-100? If not, please order that ASAP. After seeing the pool pictures I would also recommend the XL option.

When you get your test kit please practice on your tap water. This will gives us a baseline for your fill water. After testing the tap water please test your pool water and post both sets of results in this thread.

Thanks, i will look into purchasing the bleach tomorrow.
Can you break down how much of each item i would need to purchase?
I ordered the TF-100 with the speedstir already, it will be arriving Friday.
Let me add my welcome! :wave:

Bleach: as much as you can fit in the trunk. You might get fewer suspicious looks if you stock up at a pool store or the pool section of the big box hardware store. But if the boxes look faded and dented, it's old, so avoid it. Date Code Decoder

There's no way to predict what else you'll need without test results. Sorry. Wait - not true. A bag of Diatomaceous Earth or the Cellulose replacement for it. That green stuff is going to be leaving through the filter, so it'll be clogging rapidly at first.

For that green of a pool you are going to need LOTS of bleach! I would start with a minimum of 10 jugs to start. Be sure to buy just plain old bleach - no scents, splash less, etc.

To clear my algae, I lost count after 25 jugs. I've seen people use 80+. But I PROMISE, it is worth it. You can go ahead and buy 2 jugs of Muratic Acid as well. I would hold off buying stabilizer, or CYA, until you can test for it.

I finished my first SLAM a few Months ago. My recommendation is to take pictures and post them and STAY connected to this thread. Post your test results, questions, concerns. You are not alone and the support here is amazing. It's easier to get it done with a cheering squad behind you.

Good luck and congrats on buying the test kit!

Thanks guys.
Do i need to do anything with the Hayward filtration and heat system at the moment or keep them off?
Should i start using the dolphin vacuum and scrubbing the sides of the pool?

Best,
IABO
Brushing and removing any debris lurking in the depths is always a good first step. When you do start adding bleach, you want it all to work on the algae, not trying to oxidize leaves and twigs and whatever else might be down there. Don't expect the appearance to improve any, but know you're lightening the load on the bleach, as well as removing the biofilm on the wall algae that protects it from the bleach.

There will be someone here who can help you out. Usually the basic stuff on the pool filter/plumbing is east; it's when you graduate to drains, valves, skimming, and plumbing, it gets more difficult.

I will let someone with more experience with different kinds of filters to chime in and give you advice. I've just recently learned my own. [emoji6]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.