Pool dummy 1

Jul 6, 2015
Houston, TX
Hi all! I'm Macey. After my swim plans fell through with friends I made the rash decision to go and buy a pool. Never had a pool in my life and know absolutely nothing about it. Well, here I am a week later, a pool owner, and feeling as ignorant as ever. HAHA Everytime I google an issue this site comes up so here I am! Happy to be here and excited for someone to help guide this "dummy" to a clean and clear pool. Thanks!

Hi pool dummy!

the smartest thing you can possibly do, is get yourself a 1st class test kit. Almost everyone on this uses, and swears by the TF100.
you can only get them online. TFTestkits.net

This kit will allow you to test everything in the water that you need to.

In the meantime, take a few minutes and read the ABC's of water chemistry. This is just a description of what things like FC, pH, CH, TA and CYA etc are, and how they play together in the pool.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Then, bookmark the recommended levels. These levels are where you want each water parameter to be.
Pool School - Recommended Levels

And, learn how to use pool math. Its pretty simple really. Just play around with it a bit.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Of course, if you have any questions about any of this stuff, or anything else, just ask, and lots of folks here will be willing to help out!

Enjoy!