Somewhat more comfortable with test kit, what do I need to do first...

Jun 30, 2015
Meridian, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello all, hope everyone had a great 4th, we had rain here in Meridian, MS since Friday afternoon,until last night. Checked my pool just now and my numbers are as follows

Cl-5
pH-7.8
FC-4
CC-0 ?
TC-4
CH-100
TA-50

My numbers were pretty decent and holding, the only additions I have done was to add liquid 8.25% bleach. The pool is in full sun from about 8:30 am until about 6:30 pm until it sees it's first shade. I have purchased stabilizer according to poolmath, but wanted y'all to look at the numbers before I added anything. Thanks for all your patience. This forum and the reading I have been doing has been a great educational tool to help me get this pool up and running.

If you have no CYA, then you're just fine. The pH will drop a little when you add the stabilizer, so you might want to head off a pH crash now by raising TA to 70 or so with Baking Soda. It's not urgent -- don't make a special trip to go buy some tonight. Put your CYA sock in the pool and let it start dissolving and pick up some baking soda on the way home tomorrow.

I actually have some baking soda, but probably not enough to get me the numbers poolmath wants,trying to get the wife to give me a pair of hose for the cya...thanks for the help... will report back after I test tomorrow...

I put 176 oz of the requested 311 oz of stabilizer by poolmath. I did stop today and picked up 4-4lb. Bags of baking soda, but have not added any as of yet, and I have prepared another 88 oz. "Stabilizer bomb" to drop in the skimmer tonight. I wanted to check my levels before I did anything else...
Cl- high - due to operator error, turned switch on swg to superchlorinate instead of auto:mad:
pH- 7.2- as anticipated
Fc- 11.5 -dumb dumb me
Cc-0
Tc-11.5
ch-50
Ta-66
Cya-55 -should this have gone up this quickly? This is the first time I have done this test, and the water level appeared to be directly between 50 and 60, hence the 55 number.

With chlorine this high, would this be a good time to do an OCLT? And if so, should I not add the bomb to the skimmer?

On a side note, while at wally world, in the pool section checking on the baking soda, there was a young couple with a basket full of what appeared to be every chemical Walmart had, I started talking to them about what I was learning and doing on the great website, by the time, I was finished talking, thereally was about 8-10 people in the discussion, so hopefully TFP will see a spike in users from Meridian, MS!:whoot:

A few things:
1) You don't need to do the Cl test if you're doing FC & CC
2) If you already had 20 CYA or so and you added half to get to 70, then it is possible you reached 55 already. Seems weird it would show up so fast, but mathematically, it makes sense. Did you used to have CYA in the water, or use pucks or powdered shock? The fact that your SWG is able to more than keep up with the demand all day long sort of points to maybe having enough. So does the pH drop. Why not see how it holds for a couple days and recheck CYA again before adding any more? That's what I'd do. Adding more later is easy, removing is hard.
3) If you suspect algae and you are willing to get up and test before dark in the morning, do an OCLT. It will give you some peace of mind. Remember to shut off the SWG and allow the pump to circulate at least half an hour before testing.

No, I have not had any cya in the water, I had checked it previously, today is the first time I got a result. I don't suspect algae, as the water and floor and walls look great, I was actually wanting to see if it moved any, as I am going to install a timer for my pump and swg and was going to use any information I could get to help with establishing run times. And I am up before dawn drinking coffee anyway. I have shut the swg down, and will test before I go to bed. I surely appreciate all of your help, Richard320!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.