New numbers and want some guidance if need be...

Added 80oz of CYA via the a sock placed in the skimmer basket. From what ive read i need to let the pump run for 24hrs now. Ill test in about a week, and by then hopefully my other numbers are all balanced out and can continue that balance from here on out.

What exactly makes the CYA drop so much? Is that somethjng that normally drops over time and needs to be replaced regularly or is it something i did or didnt do.

Thanks!

Wow....thats a little confusing, lol.

So checked my numbers again tonight. Have a few questions. Added the CYA and now my pH is reading 6.8. My question is...aeration, soda ash, washing soda and borax all raise pH. How do you decide which one to use. Or is aerating the only one that also wont raise TA?

Next question. In the begining of this thread i was advised to lower my TA down to 60-70. Pool math and other tools here say for a non salt water pool to keep it at 70-90. The TF-100 kit says to keep it at 100-120. Just wondering why the variation. Maybe its not that big of a deal, just caught my attention as ive been testing so much lately and i know the TF-100 is the go-to kit here.

Thanks!

806, from the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page:
PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

As for the TA level itself, yes, you'll see varied recommendations by the poo builder, manufacture, and specific industries. In TFP, we've learned that while extremely TA differences can have an effect on certain pools or equipment, allowing the TA to float slightly outside the window of what some industries believe to be standard is fine because TA serves as a buffer for pH. We're usually more concerned with pH. So if a lower TA helps the pH stay low and steady - it's fine. Same applies if it helps the pH hoover a little higher. Make sense?

I guess once all of my numbers are within the recommended specs, ill see whats staying steady and whats not.
Hopefully the rest of numbers stay within spec while im wating on the CYA to raise back up.
Everything seems to be staying relatiy close.

When i tested the pH yesterday and today its staying at 7.2. I aerated last night for a few hours and doing it again tonight while the pump is on during its norml cycle.

We shall see. Unless something gets screwy, ill post new numbers once i am able to test my CYA on monday.

Thanks for all of the help!

806, from the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page:

As for the TA level itself, yes, you'll see varied recommendations by the poo builder, manufacture, and specific industries. In TFP, we've learned that while extremely TA differences can have an effect on certain pools or equipment, allowing the TA to float slightly outside the window of what some industries believe to be standard is fine because TA serves as a buffer for pH. We're usually more concerned with pH. So if a lower TA helps the pH stay low and steady - it's fine. Same applies if it helps the pH hoover a little higher. Make sense?

Lol. Freudian slip?

I have 2 more days until it will be a week since adding CYA, but i figures id give it a test and see where we are at.
New numbers as of today:
Now-Target (based on your recommendations and pool math):
FC: 3.5 - 6
TC: 3.5
TA: 60 - 65
CYA: 45 - 45
pH: 7.4 - 7.6
csi: (-.53)- (-.29)

If anyone feels the targets are off, let me know...these are what im basing my adjustments off of.
Bleach i missed yesterday, so im adding that now and that will be back in line.

TA is just a touch low along with pH. Should i add the recommended 15oz baking soda to bring up the TA and hope that will get my pH where it should be?

CYA like i mentioned was added last tuesday so i still have 2 days that it might creep up a little which i think will be ok still.

Once the FC is up a little along with the TA and pH....my csi will be -0.29

Again if i should bring something up or down, etc please let me know. I think we are getting close!

Thanks!!!

With CYA we usually just round up to the next higher number. The scale isn't linear so half way between 40 and 50 isn't 45, it's really more like 42. I'll let others comment on TA and pH, but I personally don't watch TA too close. I watch pH and let TA do what it will. I have a SWG and haven't had to add MA in over a month.

New numbers:
Water temp 77*
FC - 6.5
TC - 6.5
TA - 80
CYA - 50
pH - 7.3/7.4 (ish not 7.2 and not 7.5)
csi = 0.1

Over the last few weeks ive been testing quite a bit. pH fluctuates between 7.2 and 7.4 it seems.
TA is slowly rising
CYA seems to be steady.
The CH i dunno what im gonna do. Ive contacted the guy a few times and says he is gonna stop by but the. I dont hear from him. How do i deal with it if i cant get an RO session done and we dont get rain and the fill water is over 800 also.

I also need to deal with some what appear to be rust marks on the bottom of the pool. They are dots located randomly, mostly at the opposite end of the skimmer where the returns are and up kn the steps. Not sure what causes this or if its considered damaged or? They have been here for a while, since we moved in....just been trying to get everything else in order with TFP. They appear a little bigger than when i first saw them...

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.