pebblesheen issues with install in deep end - anybody had similar issues?

muffin_dad

Jan 6, 2014
FloMo, TX
We had pebblesheen installed last week and right off the bat we had issues with inconsistencies in the deep end with streaks and splotches.

Here is what it looked like after filling

Imgur
AM26XuS.jpg

They told us - yes that was not right and they would send a diver to touch up. I am afraid that the fix is not going to be enough.

Here is after:

Imgur
6o993vD.jpg

Did anybody else run into this sort of issue and how did you move fwd? The tec that dived talked about possibly needing to drain and re acid wash.

Needless to say I am stressing. Went with pebbletec because I had read how their finish is consistent and their guarnatee is good so hopefully this will be solved but would love to hear from anybody that has been in our shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a little worse that what I would say is normal. I am not sure where you heard the Pebble finish is consistent ... they all have mottling and it is worse the darker you go.

Looks like my Blue Granite although my ring is not quite as large.

The guy that sold us the pebblesheen pointed that they are able to get it much more consistent than the other finishes. Each pool we have seen is way way more even than this. Yours is similar? Color is blue granite btw but still balancing chemicals.

Mine is not that pronounced ... just as small ring around the drain.

Plaster supervisor that took a look at the pool said mine happened to be one of the most even they had seen done ... could have been blowing smoke though :D

Yes mine is def not just a small area around the drain is the majority of the deep end - or should I say the majority of the deepest area in the deep end as the pool is quite large. The rest of the pool is beautiful which makes this look so much worse. They are going to get back to us and have us talk to the plaster manager. We will see. I am not happy.

Also I will say when they did the pebblesheen - the deep end right where the drains are (problem area) was left with a few inches of water standing there all day and remained there until the acid wash. Not sure if that has something to do with it or what. Thankfully I have it all documented in pictures - you can see issues clearly even then in that area.

I've never seen that big a patch. I didn't arrive at a resolution. On the whole mine looks fine. In some light you can really see the mottling and in most light you can't. It will become less pronounced after about 6 months to a year, either that or I became more used to it.

Mine is all over the pool, like they troweled too much in some places. They did a hot start on mine no acid wash.

I'm not sure exactly what they can do to remedy that with a high probability of looking better.

Most folks just marvel at how clear my pool is and how great it looks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have some of the same mottling in various places, pretty even overall, most is in the deep end. I think they tried harder to get it even in the shallow areas. I don't mind at all, seems to look more natural, reminds me of looking into Burnell cascade in little Yosemite valley, a granite pool on the upper merced with really clear but cold water.

My previous pool was Stone Scapes tropical blue. It was horrible when they first filled it, very splotchy, uneven, rough in places, etc. They drained and did an acid wash which helped a lot, however was still not what I would consider acceptable. Looked especially bad at night when the light was on with pump off (still water). With the pump and / or water features on it was not as obvious. Eventually got used to it and seemed to blend more each year.

I have some of the same mottling in various places, pretty even overall, most is in the deep end. I think they tried harder to get it even in the shallow areas. I don't mind at all, seems to look more natural, reminds me of looking into Burnell cascade in little Yosemite valley, a granite pool on the upper merced with really clear but cold water.

I've been thinking a lot about the possibility of mottling when we finally get our Blue Granite pebble plaster. The more I think about it and think about all the different waters I've seen (oceans, Caribbean, gulfs, bays, rivers, lakes, etc), I can't remember any having one solid, even color. Maybe in photos, but not in person. I'm not saying this to criticize those who prefer it to be even, but offering it as a possible way of looking at it. Also in the beginning of building our pool, I heard a lot of concerns that Blue Granite didn't look right on steps or ledges - too gray. Again, I don't remember any body of water having a deep blue color at the edge of the beach area. I plan to pretend that my 'natural' pool (whatever that means) has a gray type stone or mixed gravel and should look gray. (HA! I get through a lot of life by pretending!!!)

I really do understand in this situation, that it may not look right since it is located only in one specific area. I hope in this case, that they can make it much less defined and then with time, it will blend and look more natural. The last thing any of us want is to spend all this money and end up disappointed! I'm pulling for you, MuffinDad. Please let us know how it turns out! Take care.
Suz.

Don't get me wrong - I understand and like variations in pebbletec/sheen. I like the natural look. Other areas in the pool have normal slight variations. Some mottled areas. ZERO problems with that. This doesn't look like that. It looks like a dirty deep end with very defined differentiation from the rest of the pool. I saw more than 10 pools while choosing finish and NONE had anything that resembled this mess. This is an expensive project and I ended up with what looks like an old pool with dirt issues in the deep end after my costly remodel. I went with the company and pebbletec because this is what I was hoping to avoid with a certified/pebbletec approved crew. I don't expect perfection of a flawless exact finish but this is beyond what i think its acceptable. I hope the company makes it right and if they don't I hope pebbletec will make it right. I don't think this is a good representation of their product.

I have to agree, but a perfect finish is rare as can be. Room for Improvement to be sure. They will likely suggest a no drain acid treatment, but who knows. Let us hear how it works out for you though. Sorry it happened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.