Chemical help for 12x30 frame pool

Jul 6, 2015
tooele, Ut
Just set up our new pool last Fri. and trying to figure out all the chemical stuff. Wish I would have found this site first! I read on Pool School I could get away with just the small Chlorine/pH test kit for my small pool. So far the only chemical I've added is 1 tablet of what I'm pretty sure is a trichlor puck in a floater. Tested the water this morning and the Cl tested at .5 and the pH was 8.2. I'm headed out to get some bleach and muriatic acid but not sure about the CYA. Should I just assume it would be 0 still? Also, we're headed out of town Wed afternoon through Sat afternoon. Is there anything I need to do to it to keep it from getting gross? TIA!

Your pool is so small that when that one puck dissolves, you'll be at about 17 CYA. So I wouldn't even bother buying CYA. The smallest package will be a ten year supply. Three pucks will do it for CYA. Definitely get that FC up. And don't target too low with the pH, because the pucks will also lower pH.

I would use the MA to bring the pH down to the low 7s. 5 ounces of MA will get you close. Retest after circulating for 30 minutes. Add a bit more if needed.

Then I'd get that FC up for sure. Add enough bleach to get to 5-6 FC and put a new puck in the floater when that one is dissolved. Only use 3 total pucks and then just bleach to keep FC at or above 4 FC all the time.

Welcome,

You can take care of that small pool with what you have, it's a bit harder but if it goes green it's cheaper (usually) to dump and start over. My first year with a ring pool and the HTH 6 way test kit and after finding this site I never had another problem. It was so easy in fact that we decided to get a bigger pool the next year and have never had a problem. In fact complete strangers ask how our water always looks so good. I always direct them here, though the last one was a Mennonite and I may have to print some info off for him, because I don't think they can use the internet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.