Help needed on skimmer and drain piping

TroyB

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Houston, TX
Now that I have a pretty good handle on my water chemistry (that's to this site and the TF-100), I turn my attention to try and better understand my plumbing. My skimmer and drain piping is shown below:

standard.jpg

If I understand correctly, pipes 1 and 2 are my pool skimmer and drains and pipe 3 is my spa drains. Any way to tell which valve is which? Or do I just have to turn them and see if my skimmer is working? I assume I should turn the pump off prior to turning valves? Also, this is kind of embarrassing, which way should I turn the handle? Handle pointing up or handle pointing down to close the valve? Thanks in advance for your help.

I need help on the other side of the pump

In my attempt to better understand my plumbing, I have a picture of the return side of my pump:

standard.jpg

If I understand correctly, the first pipe (with the check valve) is returning water to one return in the elevated spa.

The middle pipe is returning water via 5 returns in the pool.

The last pipe is returning water via the remaining returns in the spa (during spa mode only).

Does this sound correct?

spishex said:
You'd have a constant spillover if that were the case, since your suction is dedicated to the pool in pool mode but would be returning to both the pool and spa. Is that the case?

Yes spishex,

I have an elevated spa with a constant spill over (when in pool mode).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.