Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help needed on skimmer and drain piping

1. Back To Top    #1

Help needed on skimmer and drain piping

Now that I have a pretty good handle on my water chemistry (that's to this site and the TF-100), I turn my attention to try and better understand my plumbing. My skimmer and drain piping is shown below:

If I understand correctly, pipes 1 and 2 are my pool skimmer and drains and pipe 3 is my spa drains. Any way to tell which valve is which? Or do I just have to turn them and see if my skimmer is working? I assume I should turn the pump off prior to turning valves? Also, this is kind of embarrassing, which way should I turn the handle? Handle pointing up or handle pointing down to close the valve? Thanks in advance for your help.
    - 25K Gallons, Jandy AquaPure Model Pure1400 SWG w/ AquaLink RS PDA, Jandy LXi Heater Model 400
    - Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filters
    - IG Plaster Pool w/ rock waterfall & weeping walls, Elevated spill-over spa
    - 2 X Jandy Stealth SHPM2.5 pumps (one for pool, one for waterfall), Pool Pump ~ 100 GPM in pool mode
    - UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator, Polaris 280 w/ Polaris Halcyon booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help needed on skimmer and drain piping

Up or down will both close the valve. Otherwise, you've got it covered. Close one and see if the skimmer is still running.

3. Back To Top    #3

spishex,

Thanks for your help. The left valve controls the floor drains and the right valve controls the skimmer.
    - 25K Gallons, Jandy AquaPure Model Pure1400 SWG w/ AquaLink RS PDA, Jandy LXi Heater Model 400
    - 2 X Jandy Stealth SHPM2.5 pumps (one for pool, one for waterfall), Pool Pump ~ 100 GPM in pool mode

4. Back To Top    #4

I need help on the other side of the pump

In my attempt to better understand my plumbing, I have a picture of the return side of my pump:

If I understand correctly, the first pipe (with the check valve) is returning water to one return in the elevated spa.

The middle pipe is returning water via 5 returns in the pool.

The last pipe is returning water via the remaining returns in the spa (during spa mode only).

Does this sound correct?

5. Back To Top    #5

You'd have a constant spillover if that were the case, since your suction is dedicated to the pool in pool mode but would be returning to both the pool and spa. Is that the case?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    You'd have a constant spillover if that were the case, since your suction is dedicated to the pool in pool mode but would be returning to both the pool and spa. Is that the case?
    Yes spishex,

I have an elevated spa with a constant spill over (when in pool mode).

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you've got it covered then. Last step is to buy a sharpie!

8. Back To Top    #8

spishex,

Thanks for your help. Yes, sharpie time!