New Pool Build In Rockford, MI

I usually get my chlorine from a local pool shop called Under The Sun. I can get a case of 12.5% for around $16. I was in Menards last night and they had theirs on sale for $1.96/gal, basically half price as their normal price is close to Under The Sun's.

Here is what my pool looks like right now. I hope to have it filled by tomorrow night, I have to reinstall my skimmer, outlets, light, etc. tonight.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20150712_001.jpg
    WP_20150712_001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 350
Andy, I really wish you had someone in your area that had a SWG pool or even just a well maintained chlorine pool so you can see and feel how good it is!

Kim

Greetings, Andy! I'm just down the road from you on Grand River (northern tip of Ada.) I am not SWG but do use softened water for makeup water, so its a "bit" salty -- and instead of "slimy" many people comment on how nice my water feels ;)

My pool is a 15-yr-old built by Polynesian but I wasn't the original builder...bought the place in 2011 foreclosure. When we bought it, it was a swamp, but due to being in a former catch basin on side of hill (ergo high water table) we were advised not to drain it -- which is how we found TFP and subsequently recovered it, as you can see in my profile pic ;)

You've already selected a PB, of which I have no direct knowledge, but will say that in our case there are two things I think Polynesian did well in the build of our pool -- the liner is ancient and has held up really well considering its neglect/abuse when foreclosed...its a lantham liner in a style that hides a lot. The second thing that was brilliant is they plumbed a sump under the diving well that ties into our pump system so we can pump off water from heavy rains, etc. I think in our location this has helped maintain the integrity of the liner etc. a great deal.

From my experience, there are a couple of thing I can confirm for you:

1. The natural gas cost of maintaining heat 24/7 at around 88 - 90 ranges from $300ish in shoulder season to $200 in July and August. Due to tight footprint, we do not use a cover. We do use CoverFree, which helps a little, but the thing about the solar pills and CoverFree is that they're less-effective when wind disturbs the surface or when you're filtering, which in my case, is always ;)

(We filter continually because we get a very heavy debris load from mature trees and a terrace and this has proven the best way to manage it.)

2. In our location, with some shade on pool, we consume roughly from 2 ppm per day (approx half gallon of 12%) but can get up to 3 - 4 ppm if there's tons of pollen etc. getting in or heavy use.

We buy cases of refilled 12% from Polynesian because I hate wasting the plastic bottles, which in this arrangement, they recycle. I keep 3 cases on hand and every second week cycle out 2 cases of empties.

Though we have an inline chlorinator, I only use it (with pucks) for vacation. The water is a million times nicer and I never have to worry about haziness, algae outbreaks, or high ccs (that chlorine smell) by using the TFP method and targeting slightly above range on the cya:chlorine chart.

For me, its not about cost savings or convenience as it is having the confidence of a well-controlled and sanitized pool with great water to share ;) But in the long run, this treatment approach avoids the endless cycle of expensive and mostly useless troubleshooting products inevitably "required' once cya levels ave gotten too high with pucks.

Your PB will not likely be familiar with or advocate this treatment method but it is 100% science-based and verifiable, but not especially in the industry's interest to discuss, as it renders virtually all commercial products unnecessary. Trust me that one of the former techs at Polynesian is now a believer after all other efforts to recover the swamp failed ;)

The exceptions re useful commercial products might be metal sequestrants, like Metal Magic made here by Haviland, for people on well water like me. Even to add borates, I can get what I need from an online chemist at half the price of commercial formulations ;)

Hope some of that info helps. PM me if you'd like to swing by and take a dip. Heavy schedule in the first half of my week, but I'll be around more later.

PS Had a pool party Friday night for some biz associates. Most frequently asked question IN the pool was why my water didn't smell like chlorine, and what did I do to make my water feel so nice. The irony was my FC was at 8 ppm for the party...while puck pools at 2 ppm stink of ccs ;)

It's starting to get exciting!! They start our pool build this Thursday, and this past week I hired the electrician that will be running 100 amp service from the house to the shed along with the subpanel, gfci outlets, wiring lights, light controller, vsp and heat pump as well as bonding the pool and everything. We are bringing 100 service out to the shed because phase II of this project is going to be adding a 1/2 bath/changing room in the spring and two years down the road I will be adding a lean off of the shed and building an outdoor kitchen/bar underneath with grill, sink, fridge and tv. Fortunately we have had to rotate the pool from the original design because of where the septic drain field is on the back of my property. I say fortunately because I like the way we have it much better now! Here is a diagram of how everything will be set up and a couple of pics of the pool staked out for the health dept. inspection that has already passed. Have the building permit in hand, trenching for the electric, water, satellite tv and internet is done Wednesday from the house to the shed and everything starts Thursday AM. Can't wait!

View attachment Pool Build Scan 2015.pdf

We were fully expecting that. I did the pool build in the fall because I got a much better deal on concrete and we opted to go with 1400 sq ft. of concrete vs. the 647 sq ft. that comes standard with the pool, landscaping and landscape lighting is much cheaper and the ground is also harder to minimize damage to my yard. That way when spring gets here, I can open the pool and it will be ready for summer!! Yes, we are in Red Flannel territory as Cedar Springs is just 5 minutes to the North. I've never heard of the Red Flannel Factory though

Well the pool is almost complete and although I emailed the site administrator asking why I cannot upload photos, I haven't heard back? After I compress the photos for web page size or email size for that matter it still gives me an error message that I have exceeded my allowed quota? The pool looks great and I hope I can share some pictures with everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the reply and here are the pictures from the first three days of the build. I will post pictures from yesterday and tonight this evening. The pool is full and the Electrician will be done hooking up all the electric, installing panels, GFCI outlets and LED lights today. Pool company is coming out to prime the pump and turn everything on today. Looks like we will be swimming next week as they come out and pour the concrete on Monday, Tuesday and the fence goes in next Wednesday! Here is the link to the pictures in Photobucket below.
http://s484.photobucket.com/user/aka0524/library/Pool Build 2015

Not sure if this has been mentioned before: I noticed in your sig that you say they put zeobrite in your filter, instead of pool sand. I have a flag in my mind that says there might be an issue with that. Not sure if it matters at this point but I wanted to let you know just in case it's something you want to think about now rather than later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.