The biggest problem with this TFP method!

The biggest problem I see with following the advice on this forum is the crystal clear water! I mean, it’s infuriating to be able to see every kernel of sand at 8’. :bowdown:

At the risk of turning this into a serious thread, my biggest problem is that I tell friends and family about the method, I mean just the basics so as not to shock them (pardon the pun); and all I get is "really; not "REALLY!", but just the regular "really". And they just continue as before, which is fixing their pools when they go bad and following the pool store advice on chemicals and thinking that's just how it has to be.

I think these folks respect my opinion, and I think I'm keeping it simple explaining it; talking mostly about keeping free chlorine at a level based on CYA; not just 1-4; daily testing and replacing consumed chlorine as determined by the FC level during the test; using only chlorine (usually bleach) as sanitizer and as an algaecide and other, mostly grocery store and hardware items and that's it. No weekly shock or slam; just a few minutes per day to test and replace. They don't disagree with the method. They just won't do it. Is it possible that someone could hear or read about this method and understand it and not want to try it? But that's what I get.

They understand the terms. They even understand the problem with overstabilization and using the term CYA, so it should make sense to them that the higher the CYA, the higher the FC has to be just to do the same work, but I've not got but one person to try the method and his spouse buys some of the unneeded items and puts in the pool, so he's not really doing it but wants to.

My sister-in-law actually fixes peoples pools. Usually really, really bad pools where the pump has not been turned on for a year or more, but she also maintains a few people's pools for them. I asked her if she had ever heard of "BBB" or TFPC or setting the FC based on CYA. She said "no". I explained the differences and sent her a link to the calculator, the pool school, the recommended levels, and the FC/CYA chart. Have never heard back from her. Not a "thanks but no thanks"--nothing! Does she think I'm trying to be a know-it-all. I don't know.

Anyone else get this non caring attitude from others about TFPC?

I HAD two (notice two) that would not hear me. They both had clear water so....................Well with one it caught up with them! It got cloudy over one day. The next day it was green all over the side and bottom of the pool! "What do I do?????" they asked the pool store LOL The pool store tested their water and tried to sell them $150 of stuff!

They called me and asked if I would come over with my test kit. I did and their CYA was OUT of there! I did not even bother trying to dilute it.

I sent the wife to the store to buy bleach "BLEACH??????" LOL Yes bleach. The husband I set up draining the pool. He only wanted to drain about 50% which I though was a good idea being in FLorida and our high water table.

It took 3 50% drains to get the CYA down to 30! While it was filling each time he was adding bleach and using a sub pump to move the water and bleach around.

His pool is clearer than it has ever been and they are loving their own test kit and their BLEACH! LOL

The other pool? I am here when then need me.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding to Richard's comment... The other day I walked by a hotel with an outdoor pool that was visible from the sidewalk, maybe 10 ft away through a metal fence. The water was blue, but cloudy and there were at least 20 people swimming in that goop... A part of me wanted to test the water to see what the chemistry was like but I didn't have a test kit handy, nor did I want to get arrested for trespassing. :)

A few years ago, prior to being a pool owner, I would have thought nothing of it.

I will no longer swim in other people's pools....unless there's a TFP logo hanging on the pool fence.

Honestly, we went to a beautiful resort this past weekend for the 4th of July and I was sitting on a lounge chair watching the wife and kids float by in the "lazy river" pool. Now the water does have perhaps 100 or more people in it BUT it stunk of CCs and was barely visible to the bottom (you could make out peoples feet but not get a proper toe count). All I could think to myself was, "yuck, that is some nasty water!" The entire time I was getting razzed by my family for sitting on the side lines. My response to my wife was, "See, the big chunky dude that is floating on the inner tube? He's consumed about 4 of the 6 beers in his ice pail already and has not left the water....ENOUGH SAID!"

Yip, it's sad but true, TFP turns even the most mild-mannered person into a pool-snob!

I can tell you how to fix that.
Get yourself a retrofit LED color changing lightbulb. Then you can see lots of different pretty colors!
This TFP method is driving up my electric bill, as I want to have my pool light on all the time so I can see the pretty blue color..:D

- - - Updated - - -

Aint it the truth! ugh!

The biggest problem I see with following the advice on this forum is the crystal clear water! I mean, it’s infuriating to be able to see every kernel of sand at 8’. :bowdown:

My problem is the water is never clear enough. Everyone who sees my pool says they have never seen a pool so clear. But I seem to always strive for it to be just a bit clearer and sparkle just a bit more. Then there is the problem that I can see a single ocotillo leaf at the bottom on the other end of the pool. (For those of you who don't have ocotillo, a large leaf is about 1/4 inch long by about 1/8 wide.)

My problem is the water is never clear enough. Everyone who sees my pool says they have never seen a pool so clear. But I seem to always strive for it to be just a bit clearer and sparkle just a bit more. Then there is the problem that I can see a single ocotillo leaf at the bottom on the other end of the pool. (For those of you who don't have ocotillo, a large leaf is about 1/4 inch long by about 1/8 wide.)

I can make out a single mesquite leaflet at the bottom of the deep end. I then command Kreepy Krauly to go and fetch it yet he seems to just wander aimlessly about the bottom, lazy little bugger....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.