High total alkalinity

I've tested with the TF 100 kit. Today's reading is 300, ph still at 7.2 and FC at 7. I'm thinking it was because I had drained a great deal of water out of the pool at the beginning of the season and brought the water level back up by using rain water..(we had significant rain over several days). not really wanting to drain again.

Rain water TA is VERY low unless the rain was collected in a way that could have exposed it to alkalinity. Rain water refill should be the best way to replace high TA water.

No sense draining. Check out your CSI by inputting all your numbers into Pool Math. If at your current levels, your CSI is in the scaling range, then you should try to actively lower the TA and maintain a lower pH until it comes down. Aeration/acid addition is the fastest way to lower TA. See here: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Are you sure you don't have static electricity on your dropper tip? Wipe the dropper tip with a moist cloth to be sure. The drops you count in the TA test should be well-formed hanging drops and you should hold the bottle upright. Unless your pool is covered most of the time, it would be unusual for the pH to be low when the TA is high unless you were using acidic chemicals such as Trichlor, non-chlorine shock (MPS) or even Dichlor (which is net acidic when accounting for chlorine usage/consumption).

Did you need to drain and refill due to high CYA?

What is your current CYA?

What is the TA of your tap water?

Do you use trichlor 3" chlorine tabs?

What is your calcium hardness?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.