Stenner pump install using in line puck chlorinator

rynd96

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Akron Ohio
So after some internal strife (Stenner vs. SWG) I decided on Stenner. I did the install this weekend and am up and running. The install only took about 2 hours, most of that spent walking back and forth to the garage to grab another tool. Dummy.

Here's the parts breakdown

Stenner MPHP10 $208 Lockewell.com

Rain cover $11 Lockewell.com

Flow indicator $13 Lockewell.com

15 Gallon drum $41 Uline.com

Woods 50015 outdoor timer $19 Amazon.com

1 gang weather proof receptacle cover $6 Home Depot

Misc. screws and cable ties I had already

Total $298 plus shipping and tax

All of my pool mechanicals are in a small fenced in area so I mounted the pump and timer on the wall. I already had a GFI outlet available so I just added a new weather proof cover that seals up pretty well while in use.

I drilled a hole, a little bigger than the tubing into the small cap in the drum. That should allow for venting while minimizing the amount of rain water that gets in. Also the pump comes with a weighted strainer for the bottom of the pick-up tube. It took me a minute to figure out how I was going to get it inside the tank without running the pick-up through the larger hole, I wanted that for adding bleach. I was able to feed the tube through the smaller hole and stick my fingers down into the larger hole and grab the tube. Installed the weighted strainer from there and dropped back in.

The timer is plugged in just below the two switch boxes at the bottom of the photo. Of note, the cord on the timer is about 12 inches long so I had to use an extension cord. I sealed the connection between the timer and extension cord with electrical tape and then liquid electrical tape and mounted the connection under the pump so it will be out of the rain.

The instructions for the timer recommend resetting it to clear out any old settings, which I though was odd. They don't mention though that you must hit the reset button for the timer to work. I spent 5 minutes cursing at it because it wouldn't allow me to program anything. I then hit reset and it worked like a charm. The timer is easy to set up and you can store 20 on/off cycles. I have started with five 15 minute doses a 10, 12, 2, 4 and 6 based on my recent demand (using 12.5%), we'll see how that goes and I'll adjust if needed.

You may notice that I didn't mention the flow indicator, that's because I didn't use it. I already had all the lines from the pump run when I realized I forgot it. I went to add it in and found out that you have to mount it on the out-put going in an upward direction. Since my lines all run downward, I don't think it would work, and by looking at how it is designed, it may restrict the flow if mounted upside down. To check the flow, I unscrewed the out-put fitting at the pump quickly and bleach came out.

Don't use Teflon tape on the pump connections and only hand tighten the nuts, they should be leak free. I did use Teflon tape and a wrench on the injector.

Depending on any adjustments to my bleach flow, I should get around 22 days on a tank of 12.5% which makes my life a little easier.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Very nice install.

The only thing I will caution readers about is that we generally do not recommend re-purposing a chemical feeder to use a different type of chemical, even different types of chlorine due to possible reactions. From your post on another thread I will caution you to never mix pucks and liquid chlorine in the feeder set up this way.

Yes, I should have mentioned that, I cleaned out the 320 before starting the install and won't be running them both at the same time. I'll use the 320 at the beginning of the season to get the CYA up, clean it out and go exclusively bleach for the rest of the season.

I agree with Tim. This seems like a REALLY bad idea where there is much too high of a possibility to accidentally run both types of chlorine with catastrophic results.

I do not think I am out of line by saying that TFP would NEVER recommend this!!!

How did you interlock the Stenner to the pool pump? You want to ensure that the Stenner can not operate unless the pump is running.

I'd like to see a picture of the tie in to the 320. While TFP may not recommend using it, there are some of us who may disagree. If the issue is mixing of chlorine type, just insert something in the 320 to prevent the addition of pucks. Perforated capped piece of pvc or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say I was torn between instaling my Stenner into the chlorinator or just tap into a return pipe. I did not think that I would use the chlorinator anymore. Well we had so much rain that the pool lost CYA. I was glad I did the tap because I was able to use up all my old pucks to get CYA back up. I like the idea of adding a piece of pvc pipe to keep from accidently adding pucks while Stenner is active. Just my opinion though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Inflatableman1

I removed the pic of the tie in to the 320 because the mods are right, it can be dangerous. However, I control my pool and I'm the only one who does any work on it so I know that I won't have an issue.

I believe most 320's have a pre tapped 1/2 npt fitting at the top and bottom, mine does and it allows for a choice of where you want to install the flow dial, the other is capped with a plug. I'll send you a PM with a link to the pic in a bit.

Rynd96,

Thanks for that. I am in the same situation as you; no one else will be in my pump room but me. So I am not very concerned about the mixing of chlorine type. I see the tie in to the 320 as an easy temporary fix. If I start re-plumbing my manifold it will turn into a big project that I am just not ready to do just yet. So this would allow me to automate fairly trouble free.

At the moment, I only have access to 5.25% bleach. So automation is becoming a priority. It's a lot of hauling and such. So I have just started my Stenner research. I will start another thread on the topic. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.