LPS Facebook posts...just for fun!

Sep 19, 2013
Rome, GA
Just for fun, I follow my local pool store's facebook page. They post a "Tip of the Day" several days per week. Just for fun, here are a few of their recent posts. :D:D So glad I have learned the TFP method!! I've never heard the lightening/nitrogen one before...any truth to this at all?? :confused:

June 29 at 5:02pm ·
The Pool Store's "Pool Tip of the Day"
Backwash your filter but don't backwash too often!
Make sure your pressure gauge is working properly and only backwash if it reaches 8-10 psi over what the reading is after a backwash.
For example: when you backwash, immediately check your reading, if it's a 12, you'll want to backwash when it's at 22. Don't let your reading go over a 25 as a rule of thumb!

June 27 at 1:50pm ·
Did you see that down pour??
Sometimes a heavy rain can cause cloudiness to occur in a pool. After the rain stops; shock your pool and test your water!

June 26 at 1:59pm ·
Run your pump at least 12 hours a day to keep a crystal clear pool, especially during the heat of the day! Algae loves to grow in a pool that isn't circulating!

June 25 at 4:11pm ·
After a heavy rain it's important to heavily shock your pool, especially if lightening occurs! Lightening creates nitrogen in the atmosphere that falls into your pool and causes binding in the chlorine! Just add double your normal shock after a hard rain or lightening storm.

Wow! That last one is just flat out stupid! Watch out for falling nitrogen, you could get hurt :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That lightning/nitrogen tip. WOW. Talk about misinformation. Yes, lightning causes nitrogen fixation where the high energy/temperature lightning causes nitrogen to bind to oxygen and this falls to earth, dissolved in rain drops. This is a minor method of nitrogen fixation in nature and would have a negligible effect on chlorine consumption from rain water going into the pool.

I guess anything that will help sell more "shock" is a good tip from the pool store. "Algae loves to grow in a pool that isn't circulating!" Really didn't think that would need to be a tip. Then again, if I ran my pump for 12 hours a day in the middle of summer my electric bill would be sky high not just my pool store bill. LOL Only one of these tips is even semi-right.

That's some funny misinformation. I don't get the extra shock if it rains one. We had 4-5 inches of rain in the last week and it did nothing at all to the clarity of my pool. FC dropped a tiny bit because it was diluted with the rain water, but it was still within range for my CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's usually storms, not rain itself, that are a problem because the wind can pick up dirt and blow in pollen and debris that when getting into the pool can increase the chlorine demand and cloud the water.

That makes sense. I guess people that post about that on here are having more debris issues than I do with the usual rain. Seems there are quite a few "omg it rained for 30 minutes and now the pool's green" threads. I guess rain isn't always just rain.

The Pool Store - "Pool tip of the day" are you checking the active ingredients of your shock before you put it in your pool?
Key words to look for in your "Active Ingredients" are:
Di-chlor (salt based, 58% active chlorine)
Calcium (calcium based, 73% active chlorine)
Beware of "Tri-chlor" (Triazinetrione) based shock - these tend to add unnecessary stabilizer and lower your Ph levels.

Today's "tip of the day" makes a little sense! They just don't bother to warn you that di-chlor adds stabilizer also...or that too much calcium can be bad!

When I was at Leslie's getting my water tested per Shasta's warranty requirement from the replaster and before I found this site, I was told, "you have to be really careful with trichlor because sometimes the manufactures put CYA in it. Ours has no CYA." I believed it for the 15 minutes it took me to get home and verify on google, and then discovered the truth.

When I was at Leslie's getting my water tested per Shasta's warranty requirement from the replaster and before I found this site, I was told, "you have to be really careful with trichlor because sometimes the manufactures put CYA in it. Ours has no CYA." I believed it for the 15 minutes it took me to get home and verify on google, and then discovered the truth.
Sometimes you just have to wonder if they are ignorant or lying......

I was at Leslies today getting my "free" test to buy my priced-matched and coupon-stacked bargain liquid chlorine. There was a couple in there complaining about their green pool and how they followed all Leslie's experts' instructions. Anyway, sounds like they'd drained their pool already in the spring so it was fresh water. At that time they were told to add stablizer and use tabs. The cya had risen to over 100 in very short order, and they took off a foot of water this week and were back for a retest. The cya was down to 90 and the CH was at 250. The couple were trying to invoke the Leslie's "algae free guarantee." Wow, what a show that was. The store manager relented. They were given the choice of all the liquid chlorine they needed or the equivalent of cal-hypo. I gave my two cents (was ignored) and the people walked out with 24 packs of the cal hypo. I hope I'm there again when they come in complaining about their milky white pool, and when that clears, the algae will be a thick mud layer at the bottom.

Previously, I'd mentioned that one of the workers told me that Leslie's tabs have no CYA. This time they said it had some but very little and referred me to the 99% figure on the container, and implied that it was the 1% unaccounted portion that was the CYA and there was no way it took a fresh fill stablized to 50 ppm CYA up past 100 ppm in about 6 months. However, the customer said he was using 6 tabs a week in a floater (my eyes rolled). So it's just obvious that no one that sells those tabs realize that every powder you add is going to leave some nasty residual behind.

I was in Leslies last week getting some liquid chlorine and had to wait around a while for them to test my salt cell. its so funny just to sit there and listen to these guys give advice. some foreign lady came in to get her water tested. I watched the guy do the testing, and I was surprised they were using Taylor reagants. was curious so I watched him do the tests, everything looked good till he did the CYA test. added the reagent, quick shake and poured it in and gave a CYA reading. didn't wait at all for the reagent to cloud the water. he told her that her stabilizer level as 80 and that her chlorine looked good, it was 3. my eyes rolled. she complained about the white/cloudy water and he told her that's from all the rain. and since her chlorine level was "good", that she should buy both some water clarifier and some non-chlorine shock. didn't want to add anymore chlorine since it was already good.

can you imagine how high her CYA is if he got 80 without waiting for the reagent to react? and her FC was 3??!!

poor lady, left the store with $118 less dollars and will be right back in a week. I felt bad, but I just don't say anything because people trust the pool store.

besides, Ive already had enough fights with this employee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.