Help troubleshooting a few automation issues

Mar 12, 2015
Buford, Georgia
Hi all,

I am not home now but I'll do my best to provide the needed info. I am renting the house from GFs parents, so this pool was put together before I came around. Now I've had time to learn a little bit about how things work and get the water up to par, I'm ready to troubleshoot some more detailed issues.

Question 1: There is a Jacuzzi 1umf-s pump that is dedicated to the deep-end sheer descent (there's another spillover from the spa that is working fine, connected to main pump). Some time ago there was a storm and this pump seems to have stopped working. I wasn't around, but from what I understand the breaker was tripped and reset. Everything was fine except this pump never came back on. Before fiddling around with it I wanted to come here and get some advise. From the back of the control board, everything seems fine, no obvious burn marks or damage. The breaker switch also powers the regular pump, which works (don't know the brand or model right now). I haven't checked the fuse. The jacuzzi pump doesn't make any sounds or anything. I don't have electrical equipment to check voltage. Is there anything I can try before I call someone out?

Question 2: There are two Jandy valve actuators (model 2440) that control the flow to the spa, spa spillover, and main skimmer line. They are supposed to be able to be controlled from the control panel inside the house. The pressure side actuator works fine from the control panel, but the other actuator does not- it only works by flipping a switch located on the under side of the actuator. If I ever want to use the spa, I have to go down to the side of the house and manually turn the valves (which is a pain in the butt). Any ideas why this could happen?

Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks!

In-ground w/ spa
23,000 gallons
Hayward C4030 cartridge filter
Jacuzzi 1umf-s (for sheer descent)

Jandy RS8 control board/automation

ONLY IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE working around electricity:

Question 1:
Buy a volt meter. If not for this, you should have one anyway. Check the voltage at the back of the pump (motor) when you think there should be voltage there. It should be either 220 or 110V. If it is only 110, verify that it is a 110V motor. This may take a bit of investigation. A lot of motors are dual voltage so you have to verify that, THEN see which voltage the motor is set to. If you are getting the correct voltage, Stop, you are probably done. Unless you can change the motor yourself.

Question 2:
If you can manually rotate the valve (by the little switch), then it sounds like you may have a board issue. Try switching the valve actuator plugs at the board and verify that the actuator that worked now does not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.