New to site

Jul 6, 2015
rehoboth, MA
Hi, own a 16x40 in-ground vinyl pool 20 years old great shape. This year we have been having hard time keeping it clear. Changed the sand and it worked but just had to large rain storms and now it's cloudy and green again feeling frustrated and that all stores want to do is sell expensive stuff that doesn't work! So looking on here for answers! Thanks

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to try sell you something that probably won't work.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store. Our methods are based on accurate testing of the water and only adding what you need, when you need it. The problem is that most folks "trust" pool store testing and the recommendations they make based on this free test.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Hey there Dizzy...welcome to TFP!

Your pool is sick. The prescription to cure is BLEACH!! Cheap old regular household bleach (no scents, no outdoor type, no splashless..they all contain additives you don't need in bleach) and the the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits.net

See? I'm saving you some reading for later by giving you the answers right now in a nutshell.

How you use them will be found in Pool School. Once you get your test kit, come back at us with hard core numbers and we'll diagnose better :)