Adding a Pool Light

IkeRay

May 20, 2007
Houston, Tx
Sorry if this has been discussed before...

My wife has complained that at night the shallow end of the pool seems a little dark and she refuses to swim at night (shes seen too many movies and can't stand dark water). SO, that raises the question, how difficult is it to add a light near the shallow end? The Nitelighter seems a viable solution, but I would prefer it to be installed more like the current light.

if it helps, I planned on having the pool either drained or partially drained this year to do an acid wash, so would this be the ideal time to have a light installed?

Adding a pool light to a concrete/plaster pool is somewhat complex. You need to lower the water level below the level the light will be mounted, dig a trench for the conduit, jackhammer through the pool, install the niche, patch the concrete, fix the plaster, bond the niche, wire in the light, fill in the trench, repair the deck/patio, and then mount the light in the niche. Fixing the plaster is beyond most DIY types, and a couple of the other steps are on the complex side. The cost to have it done will vary quite a bit depending on how far the conduit run is and what obstructions there are along the way.

JasonLion said:
Adding a pool light to a concrete/plaster pool is somewhat complex. You need to lower the water level below the level the light will be mounted, dig a trench for the conduit, jackhammer through the pool, install the niche, patch the concrete, fix the plaster, bond the niche, wire in the light, fill in the trench, repair the deck/patio, and then mount the light in the niche. Fixing the plaster is beyond most DIY types, and a couple of the other steps are on the complex side. The cost to have it done will vary quite a bit depending on how far the conduit run is and what obstructions there are along the way.

forgot about wiring :hammer:, means I'll be tearing up the rock "decking" around the pool to do it right? or will it lift up fine?

I didn't think I'd be able to DIY, but if the person/company that does the acid washing would be willing to do this, I figured it was a good time to do both so I don't have to pay for 2 refills.

what is a good rough estimate for the cost of this, the labor not the parts or water (refilling)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.